Rule Question about Big Ball...

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/04/2001 5:05 PM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and WHO NEEDS SPONSORS WHEN YOU HAVE DETERMINATION!.

if the big balls were to be supported by the small balls on the ground, hence it does not touch the ground or any part of the playing field, is that considered 10pts per ball?

-anton

Posted by Amy at 03/04/2001 5:42 PM EST

Student on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High and NYPRO.

In Reply to: Rule Question about Big Ball…
Posted by Anton Abaya on 03/04/2001 5:05 PM EST:

See team update 3, rule SC3.

SC3. The alliance receives one (1) point for each small black ball that is supported by a goal and not in contact with a robot or the surface of the playing field. **The alliance receives ten (10) points for each large ball that is supported by a goal and not in contact with a robot or the surface of the playing field.

It looks to me like large balls supported by small balls would not be in scoring position.

Posted by Raul at 03/04/2001 6:28 PM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

In Reply to: Rule Question about Big Ball…
Posted by Anton Abaya on 03/04/2001 5:05 PM EST:

I think the big ball has to at least be touching the goal.

Raul

Posted by Matt Ryan at 03/04/2001 7:00 PM EST

Student on team #69, HYPER, from Quincy Public Schools and Gillette.

In Reply to: Re: Rule Question about Big Ball…
Posted by Raul on 03/04/2001 6:28 PM EST:

As per the rules, a big ball must be TOTALLY supported by the goal. If it is touching any robot or any surface of the playing field, etc., it will not be counted. (See Rule SC3)

IMHO, the big balls SHOULD count, seeing that it is extremely difficult to group the four balls together to put the big ball on top. Unfortunately, it would be hazardous (small balls knocked away easily) and it would eat up all the time multipliers in the attempt.

: I think the big ball has to at least be touching the goal.

: Raul