"rules" and secrecy. not everyone needs to know what goes do

Posted by Michael Clive at 1/23/2001 8:50 PM EST

Student on team #449, The Blair Robot Project, from Montgomery Blair and nasa sigma ge .

hmm…
i have noticed a problem at least at my school.

People follow rules blindly

now, there are some rules that are there for a reason, and many of those are quite justified, such as no guns in school.
Yet there are others that are there for their own sake, and they must be either ignored or removed.
I was recently stooped in the hall at my school for wearing shades. The rule was there for no real reason, and I was forced to obey., that was stupid.
Not everything needs to be out in the open. Not everyone has to know what you are doing. Keep secrets and you may be much more productive. We waste so much time following procedure at my school that we lose focus on important things, like efficiency. Now about software piracy, I do not support “piracy” but go ahead an install on multiple comps! They do not care! They give it away to us! Licensing is a really stupid concept anyway, at least to me. So, my point is that not everything has to got through proper channels. It wastes time, and usually has an equal result. Example of general idea:
our computer room is one floor above and down the hall from the main robot room, and we on the grafix team often find ourselves running up and down the halls to get stuff. Well, we came to the conclusion that a Razor(yeah, I know, real geeky) scooter(or an IT ^-^) would allow us increased throughput. Low and behold, scooters are not allowed on school property. Well, all I gotta say its that NO ONE HAS TO KNOW THAT WE HAVE ONE!!! We can use it quietly and secretly! No one gets hurt by that! It is a victimless crime ! therefore, not a crime!

So, like, install max, and forget you did. Do all the stuff that you need to do, and don’t tell anyone that does not need to know! Jeez, maybe then we can get some work done!

okay, there gose my rant, i am really not a punk (:

Posted by Jake at 1/23/2001 10:05 PM EST

Student on team #365, Miracle Workerz, from Avon Grove High School and DuPont Engineering.

In Reply to: “rules” and secrecy. not everyone needs to know what goes do
Posted by Michael Clive on 1/23/2001 8:50 PM EST:

One thing I have noticed in my High School’s student handbook is that Skooters are not prohibited in the school. HOWEVER, it says nothing to the sort of roller blades. There is a student in my grade that wears roller blades instead of shoes, and gets away with it on that basis. Perhaps instead of sneaking by a rule with secrets, go through the loop hole and use roller blades!

Another helpful tip from the vast knowledge banks of:
~ Jake

: hmm…
: i have noticed a problem at least at my school.

: People follow rules blindly

: now, there are some rules that are there for a reason, and many of those are quite justified, such as no guns in school.
: Yet there are others that are there for their own sake, and they must be either ignored or removed.
: I was recently stooped in the hall at my school for wearing shades. The rule was there for no real reason, and I was forced to obey., that was stupid.
: Not everything needs to be out in the open. Not everyone has to know what you are doing. Keep secrets and you may be much more productive. We waste so much time following procedure at my school that we lose focus on important things, like efficiency. Now about software piracy, I do not support “piracy” but go ahead an install on multiple comps! They do not care! They give it away to us! Licensing is a really stupid concept anyway, at least to me. So, my point is that not everything has to got through proper channels. It wastes time, and usually has an equal result. Example of general idea:
: our computer room is one floor above and down the hall from the main robot room, and we on the grafix team often find ourselves running up and down the halls to get stuff. Well, we came to the conclusion that a Razor(yeah, I know, real geeky) scooter(or an IT ^-^) would allow us increased throughput. Low and behold, scooters are not allowed on school property. Well, all I gotta say its that NO ONE HAS TO KNOW THAT WE HAVE ONE!!! We can use it quietly and secretly! No one gets hurt by that! It is a victimless crime ! therefore, not a crime!

: So, like, install max, and forget you did. Do all the stuff that you need to do, and don’t tell anyone that does not need to know! Jeez, maybe then we can get some work done!

:
: okay, there gose my rant, i am really not a punk (: