rules questions...

Posted by j at 1/10/2001 3:10 PM EST

Student on team #173, RAGE, from Rockville High and United Technologies Research Center.

some slightly unique questions:

1. if we deflate a big ball, then stick it in the goal and reinflate it using the pnuematics (hoping that the sides will give enough…) could it count? we’d be able to get more than two big balls that way…

2. what’s the deal with checking rules and other stuff dealing with pushing matches? in all seriousness, that ramp is going to get crowded if everybody tries to use it; will accidental traffic jams causing a robot to get pinned against one of those vertical poles result in some sort of penalty if held there for too long?

Posted by Michael Martus at 1/10/2001 7:08 PM EST

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

In Reply to: rules questions…
Posted by j on 1/10/2001 3:10 PM EST:

I do not think FIRST would appreciate teams deflating the balls. Their bad as it is with size.

As far as penalities, hey its your team/alliance who are you hurting? Your alliance needs to be well planned as to their actions when the clock starts. Poor coordination will result in low scores.

Remember there is NO defense this year, all scoring skills.

Posted by j at 1/10/2001 7:41 PM EST

Student on team #173, RAGE, from Rockville High and United Technologies Research Center.

In Reply to: Re: rules questions…
Posted by Michael Martus on 1/10/2001 7:08 PM EST:

k, just making sure there was nothing additional on the second question. i’m sure communication is going to fail quite a few times in this competition; coordinating four teams at once is not going to be an easy task

Posted by Andy Baker at 1/10/2001 9:36 PM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Re: rules questions…
Posted by Michael Martus on 1/10/2001 7:08 PM EST:

: Mike Martus said:
: Remember there is NO defense this year, all scoring skills.

Unless, some dorky robot wants to knock off a big ball.

Hey, I’ve seen sillier things happen out there.

Andy B.

Posted by Michael Martus at 1/10/2001 10:27 PM EST

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

In Reply to: Unless…
Posted by Andy Baker on 1/10/2001 9:36 PM EST:

Hey Andy… They want the large ball let em’ have it. The value is to much to risk.

Posted by j at 1/11/2001 9:49 PM EST

In Reply to: Unless…
Posted by Andy Baker on 1/10/2001 9:36 PM EST:

: : Mike Martus said:
: : Remember there is NO defense this year, all scoring skills.

: Unless, some dorky robot wants to knock off a big ball.

: Hey, I’ve seen sillier things happen out there.

: Andy B.

hmmm… when did i even mention defense? i was talking about accidental stuff that’s bound to happen a lot. you’re talking four bots with usually two operators, plus the coaches telling them what to do… they aren’t all going to think the same thing at the same time and people are going to get in each other’s way. the real challenge isn’t on the field this year, it’s in the player stations.