Safety Goggles headaches..

i was wondering if there’s a section on safety in the forum…
but anyways since i cant find it…

does anyone get headaches from wearing their safety goggles on too long?
i know for me, it pinches the back of my head and i start feeling light headed as if im not getting enought blood circulated through that area of my head

is there a way to reduce this strain? or a safety goggles that dont have this problem?

on the field esp. sometimes id have to remove them and hope that safety guys werent looking… but it was only for a little bit, just enought to massage the back of my head lol
but i didn want to get safety violations…

any help here?

There are many different styles of safety glasses and goggles. If you have the type with a strap around the back of your head, did you try adjusting the strap?

I find the ones that are rounded like shades don’t give headaches as bad. Also try to find some that aren’t scratched up really bad.

Even if they do not have a strap, try to see if there is some way to extend the length of the glasses… Ussually if they are too short, they put excess amounts of pressure on the sides of you head… at least, that’s what the problem sounds like to me.

best solution buy your own… if your a glasses wearer then get perscription safety glasses or just purchase the removable side shields for you glasses

I used theirs and they hurt my ears so now I try and remember to bring my side shields and my goggles which have an adjustable elastic band…

IT COULD be the cleaning solution they use but I’m not sure since I never actually witnessed the daily cleansing process.

A mentor from one of the teams at Lone Star came to the table and asked to check out a pair of safety glasses to wear over his prescription glasses. He said the goggles that he brought along were giving him a headache and he couldn’t make it through the whole competition with them. He was very grateful to be able to check out a pair that fit over his glasses.

On a side note, another team had bought their own safety glasses and some of the team members got headaches from them. They had chosen colorful frames. The lens were clear but the frames were bright and multi-colored. Apparently, there was a reflection of the colors that was helping to create the headaches. Not everyone who wore them complained but those that did, came and asked to check out safety glasses from the safety glasses station.

I, personally, suggest shopping for your own and bringing them with you to competitions. There are several models that fit over your glasses if you don’t have safety lens in your regular prescription glasses.

Inexpensive safety glasses will give you a headache because they distort what you are seeing a little bit. Buy your own pair of safety glasses, spend maybe $10 or more, you’ll stop getting the headaches.

Harbor Freight sells cheap and good glasses, as does Conney Safety products. Pick something in the little-bit-more-than-cheapest column and you should be OK.

Please note in the Manual, At The Event, 3.3.3:

Regular glasses do not qualify as safety glasses. Goggles are not required over glasses only if the glasses are ANSI-approved with side shields.

Regular prescription glasses are not ANSI approved

You can, however, request your source of prescription glasses for safety lenses (essentially slightly thicker polycarbonate lenses) that you can use the corresponding side shields with.

-vivek

http://68.75.255.201/supersafety/supersafetydeveloper/msa/msasupersafety/page123.htm

this is what I wear at the event and if not that then I have removable side shields that go on my glasses arms for the just in case I forget the goggles scenario and to be honest no one from FIRST has EVER bothered me about my side shields… No one from the safety glasses desk and certainly no one from Safety Advisor Team and trust me they pink on us volunteers more then they do the teams b/c we’re to lead BY EXAMPLE =)!

The big, heavy style of glasses FIRST events usually provide to visitors always gives me a headache for the same reason you mentioned - they pinch around the back of my head behind my ears. However, there are some nice, LIGHT safety glasses that you can hardly tell are on when you’re wearing them. Those rarely give me troubles. They also permit superior peripheral vision.

The pic in this link is hard to make out, but I believe this is almost the exact style of glasses we use.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/cl110.html

This site also offers several “fit over prescription” safety glasses here - Over-Prescription Safety Glasses - Safety Glasses USA.

also try
http://www.tasco-safety.com/

check out the PYRAMEX Intrepid(what I use)
http://www.tasco-safety.com/sglasses/pyramex-rendezvous-safety-glasses.html#c

these are very good glasses(comfortable too)

Absolutely correct, but at both regionals I attended I saw many, many people (volunteers, mentors, even safety inspectors with “regular” prescription glasses and slip-on side shields that looked like they were cut from overhead transparency film (meaning 0.002" thick). What burns me is that I went and spent over $300 on real prescription safety glasses… but, come to think of it - these are MY eyes, and they’re well worth it.

Don

That will be my next step as far as safety is concerned… In my field of work Goggles or some form of protection is needed for your eyes. Between Steel Dust from passing trains, Airborne debris caused by passing trains and some of the stuff we use to clean the equipment. My union is supposed to cover the cost of prescription safety glasses but next eye exam it will be a mandatory question if I don’t do it sooner…

I’ve wore/found a few different glasses that tend to give me a pain after wearing for awhile. Usually right at the end of the glasses where the ear piece wraps around and presses against the back of my head.

You just have to try on a few different pairs/styles to find what works for you.
Finding something you like the looks of and feel is the best and treat em like your sun glasses or eye glasses. Keep track of them and bring them with you to events.

-p :cool:

Safety glasses cheaper than seeing eye dogs! :smiley:

Those are the side shields that FIRST gives the volunteers. I know that at LA for the past two years volunteers were told not to hand them out. They are by no means safe.

Like many others have said, purchase your own. Go to menards or fleetfarm, home depot(stores here in MN not sure if they exist in other places0, or any other hardware store. On most of the glasses you can open them up and try them on, fell how they are like. I own myself 4 pairs of glasses, (A FIRST pair from the first store, a pair for when I wear contacts that are nice and rounded, and two others that are meant to go over my glasses)

A lot of the time, I forget that I am wearing them. That is either because I am used to wearing glasses or just cause I have them sit on my face so comfortable that I forget that they are on. Many times I have walked into McDonalds or some hardware stores and gotten some weird looks, even walk in my house and my parent ask me why I’m still wearing my safety glasses all because I picked them out.

I too find that most safety glasses I’ve tried give me headaches after a while, due to pinching of the earpiece on my head. (I think I must have a slightly larger than average head size.) Fortunately, I’ve found a style that I like that doesn’t give me headaches. The ones I wear are BOAS, which I bought from Safety Glasses USA (they’re probably available elsewhere too, though I have not seen them at Home Depot/Lowes/OSH).

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/searchresult.html?catalog=safetyglassesusa&query=boas&searchsubmit.x=0&searchsubmit.y=0&searchsubmit=Go

They come in a few different colors (check the rules for which lens colors are legal). I like the clear lens w/ smoke frame, or clear lens with clear frame, but if I’m outside (not at FIRST), I’ll use the smoke lens with smoke frame.

The model I have that goes over my glasses pinches very hard. I’ve heard of people taking a lighter and melting / shaping the plastic a little bit on the part that goes around the ears, but I’ve never actually tried that.

I’ve tried safety glasses with gel ends, those were comfy to wear.

Don,
I completely agree. For as much trouble as we go through as FIRSTers to ensure that everyone is protecting their eyes at the proper times, I can’t believe this hasn’t become a larger issue yet.

The “side shields” they give to people at competitions will do very little if a piece of metal is flying in that direction. I’ve seen some very legitimate side shields that will absolutely protect someones eyes, but the ones that you are referring to are borderline useless.

On top of that, I see many people with glasses and those flimsy sideshields…I find it hard to believe that all of these people have forked over the money for the ANSI certified variety of glasses. Making sure everyone is wearing something on or near their eyes is not what needs to happen…we need to make sure that everyone is PROTECTING their eyes. This includes the flimsy side shields, non-certified glasses lenses, sunglasses, ski goggles etc. If they aren’t certified, they shouldnt count as “protection”.

Thats just my .02 on this matter.

Brando