Sample Chairman's Essays

Team 2410’s PR team is all new this year, and is in need of guidance for how to write the Chairman’s Award Essay. If some of you cool kids would be kind enough to post your essays from years past so they can get an idea of what they’re doing, it would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi Liz,

I’m going to go ahead and pull 1071’s Chairman’s essay from out of the vault at tonights meeting and I will post in then.

Also Team 2486 has put together a fantastic all inclusive guide to preparing the Chairman’s award. I highly recommend that you utilize it as a resource. It is available here.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

-Dave

Here’s a presentation from FIRST Canada, presented by Karthik of 1114 on creating a great Chairman’s entry. In addition, Simbotics has a TON of resources (from a pretty credible source, considering they made it into the Hall of Fame in 2012) at simbotics.org . Best of luck! I’m sure this thread will also provide a great place to ask & answer any questions that might come up.

Sent you a message

Here’s our 2013 submission

Thanks so much! This is definitely a good start for the new members. Random question for anyone who sees; do judges prefer to see a very professional, direct presentation, or do they prefer a more “gimmicky” and creative approach?

Both types of presentations have been successful in the past and both types of presentations have won Championship Chairman’s Awards.

PM sent.

They can like either, so long as you pull it off. As long as the gimmicks don’t distract from the content. One team once dressed up as waiters and handed the judges ‘menus’ from which to ask questions, and they loved it. If you can own it, anything can work.

Here is our Chairman’s Submission from last year.

Also, I know someone compiled a huge spreadsheet of awards submission from tons of different teams, but I can’t seem to find it. If someone could link it, that would be awesome.

This thread has a link to a spreadsheet with a lot of 2013 submissions.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1237844

As one of the aforementioned new PR members, I just wanted to thank you all! This was definitely a case of “Hey, we need you to write our Chairman’s Essay, so come join Robotics! Thanks and good luck.” So every little piece of advice and shred of info is extraordinarily helpful. So thanks again!

Great so it looks like we arent the only one that are completely lost in writing our chairmans essay for the first time.

PM me if you want some advice. I’m always happy to take a look at any essays or presentations that get sent my way.

Team 1912’s award submissions are posted on our website. We have examples of the Chairman’s essay, short answers, Dean’s List, and Woodie Flowers. Our 2013 video is available on YouTube.