School-Based FRC Teams

1. Are you part of a school based team?
Yes

2. Are you a strictly high school team?
Pretty much, though one-off exceptions might happen.

3. How do you recruit for members? Do you limit membership? If so, how?
Primarily within our school by attending Freshman Orientation or “Club Fairs”. We pass out flyers with our info and try to engage people one-on-one and describe what we do.
We limit membership via a “tryout” period where students attend intro meetings, complete small assignments, and undergo an interview.

4. Do you have a facility on a high school campus?
We share the Physics room. We tend to spread out to nearby classrooms as well.

5. Do you have 1 or more faculty advisors/coaches/mentors?
No

6. Are your funds controlled/accounted by the school/district financial office?
No

7. Are your fundraisers limited by district office policy (car washes, donut sales, etc.)? Is your solicitation for sponsors limited/monitored?
No. Though the school wants to coordinate so that two organization fundraisers do not negatively impact each other.

8. Do you have a Booster Club? Is it a 501( c)3? Do you have access to a 501( c)3 organization to help you with donations?
Yes, it isn’t a seperate organization though, it is a group of dedicated parents who help support us. Our school is a 501 ©3, so we use that.

9. Is your administrative team supportive, disapproving/combative, or apathetic?
Supportive. Might be some negative feelings from the other organizations at the school though, as we are so large and resource intensive.

10. What is your biggest challenge being in the school setting?
Sharing space and resources with the school. We don’t have any school employees involved with the team, so coordinating can be a big challenge. There is also a feeling in the school that we are sucking up resources that other groups could get, and we have to keep working to dispel that. Occasionally the school will develop a rule with the intent of guarding other groups’ ability to fundraise, but they usually just limit our ability to fundraise.

1 Like

@Jon_Stratis I don’t consider my school to huge (2300+ students), but a large percentage of our most active members are also involved in other groups (e.g. Mock Trial, Theater, various sports, JROTC, academic competitions, etc.). It usually doesn’t interfere with regionals, but always interferes with build season.
I think that every team runs into these problems.

2300+ would put you in the top 8 enrollments in MN. For contrast, there are about 80 students per year in my school - a little over 300 total. To give you an idea of how much it impacts us… our Chairman’s lead last year was also a 3-season athlete!

1 Like

In the districts that surround my school (and within my district), there are 5 schools with attendance exceeding our 2300+.
I am amazed at the level of participation smaller schools have. Just over 1.4% of our student body is on our team (excluding the home-schooled students).
To be honest, I wouldn’t want more than 50 members - it makes travel difficult. We like to take 100% of the team with us when we travel. Most coaches/buses have 55 seats. We have 3-4 mentors that travel on the bus with the team. Then it becomes a question of who stays behind.

1. Yes / Teacher / Coach.
  2. Yes, only registered students can be members on the team.
  3. Pep rallies, Word of Mouth, all school assemblies. Yes we limit membership, we have an application and an interview process. Because it is a class and we limit it to 40 students from the entire high school, 9th – 12th graders are all welcome to apply.
  4. Yes, full machine shop and room for half a field
  5. Yes, 1st Engineering teacher = Head Coach, Director of IT = Assistant Coach, 2nd Engineering = Media and Pit Coach
  6. Yes
  7. Monitored as required by the state, but all raised proceeds go to the club not the class.
  8. No, but we have one set up and ready to go if we ever need to.
  9. Extremely supportive, our entire administration including superintendent have come to our events and cheered on the team.
  10. Snow days. If the school is closed, we are not allowed to have students come to school. We lost 11 days last season due to the polar vortex. Also creating objective standards for members to achieve. I have students who will never touch a machine and making sure we grade them approximately for the work they do on the marketing or media teams is extremely important. We have developed a type of menu of curriculum the students pick from. The first course is always shop safety, but after that they can choose manufacturing, programming, electrical, media, marketing, ect… courses. The dessert is always the competitions, though we do not grade competition participation.
1 Like

@ForeShadow00 The Superintendent? Very impressive!
I’m happy for any team that can get even a part of an administrative team to attend an event!

Team 1511 - Rolling Thunder

1. Yes
  2. Maybe, we have some younger siblings that help out but basically we are high school only.
  3. We recruit through info sessions, school fliers, invite your friends, demos. We do not limit membership.
  4. We have two storage closets, a computer lab, and a workshop.
  5. We currently have 3 faculty advisors.
  6. Some of our funds are in a school club account.
  7. They are not limited but need to be approved by the school. Our solicitation for sponsors is not monitored but limited to appropriate sources. So liquor stores, gun shops, etc.
  8. Yes we are part of a 501©3 that has a bank account we can use to store funds.
  9. Very supportive but also make sure we adhere to District policy.
  10. We do a lot of things that don’t fit the classification of a school club which causes us to enter into grey areas of policy. Mostly it is concerns of liability around transportation that is our major hang up. But we have come up with creative ways to stay within policy and operate.
1 Like

Are you part of a school based team?
Yes
Are you a strictly high school team?
Yes, but we had an 8th grader shadow the team this year.
How do you recruit for members? Do you limit membership? If so, how?
We announce the existence of the team at assemblies. We haven’t ever had to worry about limiting membership.
Do you have a facility on a high school campus?
Yes
Do you have 1 or more faculty advisors/coaches/mentors?
Yes, including our lead mentor.
Are your funds controlled/accounted by the school/district financial office?
Nope.
Are your fundraisers limited by district office policy (car washes, donut sales, etc.)? Is your solicitation for sponsors limited/monitored?
We have great sponsors, so we’ve never had a fundraiser or have needed to really solicit money.
Do you have a Booster Club? Is it a 501( c)3? Do you have access to a 501( c)3 organization to help you with donations?
Nope
Is your administrative team supportive, disapproving/combative, or apathetic?
They’re not involved unless we win something.
What is your biggest challenge being in the school setting?
Having to get admin approval on all promotional or social media things.

1 Like

Thanks, our admin actually set up a pep rally for our FRC team for both Middle and High School.
They invited each grade level to build a robot (dress up a kid) and then have those robots play a game. After which they had our team show off the robot. It was so awesome that they did that. I still credit that pep rally to the reason we won our first event.

1 Like
  1. Yes, 364 is based at Gulfport High School in Gulfport, MS, and has been there since it was founded.
  2. Most of our students over the years have been high school students, but there have been a few 8th graders.
  3. Most of our members come from the Engineering class at the high school. Our school has “Academic Institutes”, i.e. Engineering, Health (I think? Like nursing, doctor stuff.), and Arts. It’s based off of some “National Career Clusters”. They were just forming it when I was there so I don’t know much about it. Anyways, Engineering I and II are classes that Juniors and Seniors can take, so most of our recruits come from that. It used to be for Sophomores and Juniors, and when it moved to Jun/Sen, our recruiting took a hit due to the fact that we only have those students for two years instead of three.
  4. Yes. The High School recently got a multi-million dollar renovation, and our shop was part of that. It’s really nice. 3/4 size field, dedicated shop area, dedicated computer lab (for CAD, programming, website design, etc), and a dedicated 3D printer room.
  5. 1 Faculty Mentor, about 2 adult mentors, and 2 alumni mentors.
  6. No. We are funded primarily by sponsors and fundraising efforts.
  7. No.
  8. Yes, we have a booster club, and it is 501©3.
  9. Supportive!
  10. Recruiting, I guess. Our High School has been kind to us, mostly because the CTE director at our school is the guy who founded the team. But the school loves us. We put the school on the news, and we bring in lots of awards that makes the school look good, so I don’t think they’d kick us out anytime soon. :smiley:
2 Likes