Hello Chief Delphi!
After talking to my high school’s leaders (Vice Principals, Principal, and STEM Director), I have gotten everyone’s support here at my high school to attend and present at a Board of Education meeting to advocate for FIRST in the whole school system, and to hopefully create some FLL teams and maybe an FTC team. TBD if we will try to partner with another town’s FRC team to make it bigger.
After reading through CD forums of similar topics, I have created a list of what I should have. You can see the list by clicking on the arrow.
Speech to school leaders (Updated)
- Point of Presentation
- DELL Technologies Human/Machine Report
- “Employers and admissions boards aren’t just looking for these abilities and attributes, they are desperate for them.”
- FIRST’s Solution to needs
- What is FIRST?
- Mission Statement
- Benefits to FIRST / How it can help the school system
- Stats for FIRST Students (Graduation Rate, Females in STEM, Majoring in Engineering %, etc.)
- Incorporation of the Program + Impacts across local teams in state).
- Example: Ypsilanti (Make it short)
- Incorporation -> Better grades, higher graduation rates, etc.
- Programs to Include
- STEM Academies in the Middle School
- STEM Academy
- Less costly / more space
- Partnership with FRC
- Work with local school system to make frc program a joint school system effort.
- Items of Need
- STEM Standard (?)
- ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act) Title 4 Part A
- References / Work CIted
Alongside my letter, I’ll be giving out a folder of resources that our BOE members can read through while I’m talking. This report will serve as a visual and I hope it will not exceed twenty pages in length.
- What is FIRST?
- Dean Kamen
- Four Main Programs (FLL Jr. / FLL / FTC / FRC)
- Integration into the School System
- Middle School STEM Academies
- Middle School STEM Classes / Cirriculum
- High School STEM Program / Acadamy
- Attached Sample Budgets (3182 / Other Business Plans)
- Sponsorships, Grants, etc.
- Fundraising Opportunities
Supporting Documentation will be given out in a folder attached to the report i’ll be conducting and writing. They are an optional read and give the board a chance to read and take home before deciding.
Ypsilanti Case Study
FIRST Impacts - Do After-school Robotics Programs Expand the Pipeline into STEM Majors in College? By the American Society for Engineering Education (Excerpts)
Note: I would like official and approved documents from FIRST Inspires and other case studies from companies such as DELL Technologies, NASA, etc. I’m also thinking about adding the FLL Jr. / FLL / FTC / FRC Executive Summaries on FIRST’s Impact page. Thoughts? Should I just do excerpts?
I also cannot see a report by FIRST on the official scholarships they do. Is there one? I want to mention it and give it out as well.
What else should I include? Should I bring anything else, such as a slide show? The slideshow would be formatted the same way as my speech. I don’t think I can transport the robot or demo, since there isn’t enough room, but I can show videos. What good FIRST videos should I show?
Paige / Ruby