School Board Presentation

Hello Chief Delphi!
After talking to my high school’s leaders (Vice Principals, Principal, and STEM Director), I have gotten everyone’s support here at my high school to attend and present at a Board of Education meeting to advocate for FIRST in the whole school system, and to hopefully create some FLL teams and maybe an FTC team. TBD if we will try to partner with another town’s FRC team to make it bigger.

After reading through CD forums of similar topics, I have created a list of what I should have. You can see the list by clicking on the arrow.

Speech to school leaders (Updated)
  • Introduction
    • Point of Presentation
  • Statistics
    • DELL Technologies Human/Machine Report
    • “Employers and admissions boards aren’t just looking for these abilities and attributes, they are desperate for them.”
  • FIRST’s Solution to needs
    • What is FIRST?
    • Mission Statement
    • Goals
  • Benefits to FIRST / How it can help the school system
    • Stats for FIRST Students (Graduation Rate, Females in STEM, Majoring in Engineering %, etc.)
      • Incorporation of the Program + Impacts across local teams in state).
    • Example: Ypsilanti (Make it short)
      • Incorporation -> Better grades, higher graduation rates, etc.
  • Programs to Include
    • FLL
      • STEM Academies in the Middle School
    • FTC
      • STEM Academy
      • Less costly / more space
    • Partnership with FRC
      • Work with local school system to make frc program a joint school system effort.
  • Items of Need
    • STEM Standard (?)
    • ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act) Title 4 Part A
    • Sponsorship/Grants/Fundraisers
  • References / Work CIted

Alongside my letter, I’ll be giving out a folder of resources that our BOE members can read through while I’m talking. This report will serve as a visual and I hope it will not exceed twenty pages in length.

• What is FIRST?
    • Dean Kamen
    • F.I.R.S.T.
    • Four Main Programs (FLL Jr. / FLL / FTC / FRC)
  • Impact
  • Integration into the School System
    • Middle School STEM Academies
    • Middle School STEM Classes / Cirriculum
    • High School STEM Program / Acadamy
  • Budget
    • Attached Sample Budgets (3182 / Other Business Plans)
    • Sponsorships, Grants, etc.
    • Fundraising Opportunities

Supporting Documentation

Supporting Documentation will be given out in a folder attached to the report i’ll be conducting and writing. They are an optional read and give the board a chance to read and take home before deciding.

Ypsilanti Case Study
FIRST Impacts - Do After-school Robotics Programs Expand the Pipeline into STEM Majors in College? By the American Society for Engineering Education (Excerpts)

Note: I would like official and approved documents from FIRST Inspires and other case studies from companies such as DELL Technologies, NASA, etc. I’m also thinking about adding the FLL Jr. / FLL / FTC / FRC Executive Summaries on FIRST’s Impact page. Thoughts? Should I just do excerpts?

I also cannot see a report by FIRST on the official scholarships they do. Is there one? I want to mention it and give it out as well.

What else should I include? Should I bring anything else, such as a slide show? The slideshow would be formatted the same way as my speech. I don’t think I can transport the robot or demo, since there isn’t enough room, but I can show videos. What good FIRST videos should I show?

Thanks!
Paige / Ruby

2 Likes

If I’m being truthful, leave out the phrase gracious professionalism, but emphasize the importance of cooperation and competition in this program and how all students are taught that winning is great, but doing so while lifting everyone up is the ideal path. Portmanteau can be annoying, so don’t call it coopertition (my opinion).

Your documentation just sounds informational. If you need something from the town and community, be explicit about it, list off what you need in terms of space, funds, tools, sponsors, community leaders, recruitment of students, parent support, etc…

Don’t spend too much time talking about the FIRST programs your team isn’t involved with. School board presentation slots are typically 10-15 minutes unless you were told otherwise, aim to get the critical points across first, and then discuss the younger programs if you have time.

12 Likes

Alright, thank you!

Right now this is a presentation to startup FLL and maybe FTC in the building. Currently, I’m working behind the scenes to see if local teams want to partner up and run an FRC team alongside my school. If I get a confirmed partnership, I’ll be presenting about that too. I’ll probably be asking for funding and materials, hence why I’m including a budget. I probably should add in a Materials List too…

Currently its TBD for the time, so i’ll try to shorten it to be 12-14 minutes. Thank you!

Gotcha, if you’re presenting specifically in hopes of starting FLL or FTC teams, I think you may want to be more specific here in terms of what you’d need from the school and the information you want to convey.

A group of 177 students put together presentations for a middle school highlighting what is needed from teachers, parents, students etc when running an FLL program, and examples of costs associated with FLL teams. If you would like this let me know and I’ll try to find it/share it.

Remember, if you have an end goal in mind (starting FLL/FTC) keep that at the forefront and make it established in the presentation that that is your intent.

2 Likes

Alright! I’ll refine my format when I get the chance and try to do more research inside of the programs so I know what to include. I’ll try to redo the “Impact on School System” area for the information.

Once I start getting to that part that’d be amazing! Don’t worry if you can’t though, i’ll figure it out :slight_smile:

Just want to second what Akash is saying - you want to be very specific about what you need/want from the school, what resources you already have, and what you see as the benefit for doing it.

I even recommend having a clear need vs want list. Too many unnecessary things listed as a need, and they’ll think well we can’t do that. But without the appropriate things listed as a need, then you may get approval with no support, which is just a bad experience for everyone involved.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll make a second outline that’ll highlight my goals better

Remember that advocacy is about building relationships. Your presentation is just the beginning of a long conversation. Make sure to keep connected with the board members and superintendent. Make sure to invite them to team meetings or to competitions. Getting the them to see the program in person can bring all those numbers and personal stories to life.

Brian

2 Likes

As others have said, boil it down to a short list of needs. You may want to start with a brief executive summary describing these needs and what the school district will gain from them supporting those needs. Things such as increasing graduation rates and college attendance make the school district look good.

Thank you! I fully intend on doing so. Multiple facility members have heard of FIRST prior to me (Vice Principal is an Alum, whoop!), and have asked to attend competitions when they get into full swing.

I intend to give a little sheet about where competitions in CT will be after the presentation in case people want to attend.

Thank you for the advice!

Ooh I never thought about graduation rates and college attendance for some numbers! Thank you so much

A lesson learned. Often, someone is more likely to help you if they get something for their efforts.

1 Like

Yea! I’m reworking a new outline for this currently that should include items you mentioned as well as above. I’m checking through FIRST Inspire’s Impact Page currently to get resources.

You are in the New England District. There are likely to be teams in nearby school districts who may be able to help provide some numbers for you. Statistics that are “closer to home” may make your school district want to keep up with those nearby school districts :wink:

1 Like

Good point! I’ll try getting the outline done first and once mostly approved, I’ll try reaching out.

I also want to check with students enrolled in our academies if a program like FIRST would benefit them, with competition and fun after-school projects or even making it a classroom project. Would sending out a survey to the teachers and STEM director to collect numbers be a good idea?

Educators, especially those employed in a district office, are concerned with how things can be perceived by the public eye. If you are asking for funding, you will need to tie the programs to a set of standards within the STEM framework.

I completely agree with this! Do not fall into a habit of using jargon that is common in the FRC community, but completely foreign to a school board

How would I do this? Would I list out material costs that are common between every team (like registration, cost for extra MINDSTORMS, etc.?)

Don’t list the cost, but you will need to identify the standards that the program(s) will address. You will need a teacher to help you with reading your state’s STEM standards to find connections.
The administration need to see the program’s relevance to educational standards.

Also, do some reading on ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act) Title 4 Part A. It’s the federal education legislation. It specifically class out funding for programs, and lists robotics. Since they can’t call out FIRST, but if you read the language it’s a great description of FIRST.

That money goes to the District. I believe only Indiana and North Carolina are the only two states that didn’t elect to receive ESSA Title 4 Part A.

Brian

2 Likes

Okay, thank you! I’ll contact the STEM director so I can go over our STEM Standard.