school-less teams

Posted by Mike Corliss at 05/05/2001 4:02 PM EST

Student on team #419, Rambots, from BC High and :(.

I’z just wondrin’ if there’re any teams without any
school affiliation. Like, could a bunch of kids just
get together and make thewir own team and do it all
themselves? just curious.

Defector Mike

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 05/05/2001 4:57 PM EST

College Student on team #639, Red B^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

In Reply to: school-less teams
Posted by Mike Corliss on 05/05/2001 4:02 PM EST:

You need a school… without one, you won’t have drivers… and even if one did find some drivers in high school, that team will not be serving the purpose of FIRST… and I don’t think FIRST would allow it.

Patrick

: I’z just wondrin’ if there’re any teams without any
: school affiliation. Like, could a bunch of kids just
: get together and make thewir own team and do it all
: themselves? just curious.

: Defector Mike

Posted by Gui Cavalcanti at 05/05/2001 8:06 PM EST

Student on team #422, Mech Tech, from Governor’s School (GSGIS) and Verizon.

In Reply to: Re: school-less teams
Posted by Patrick Dingle on 05/05/2001 4:57 PM EST:

I heard of a team (awhile ago) that was made up of students all over the country; each team assembled different parts of the robot, and then at Nationals (or some regional, I forget) they put the robot together and trained.

-Gui, who isn’t sure if this is rumor or fact.

Posted by Lora Knepper at 05/05/2001 8:22 PM EST

Other on team #177, Bobcat Robotics - Adoptee, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

In Reply to: Actually, I heard something about this
Posted by Gui Cavalcanti on 05/05/2001 8:06 PM EST:

That was the Coast Guard Academy’s Team from Across the USA. (T500) In fact, I noted by email addresses that our wonderful Chief Delphi webmaster Brandon, seems to be helping this team out with their website as well.

~ lora

: I heard of a team (awhile ago) that was made up of students all over the country; each team assembled different parts of the robot, and then at Nationals (or some regional, I forget) they put the robot together and trained.

: -Gui, who isn’t sure if this is rumor or fact.

Posted by Philip at 05/07/2001 2:05 PM EST

Student on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi .

In Reply to: It’s Team 500 - Coast Guard Acad & HS from across the USA
Posted by Lora Knepper on 05/05/2001 8:22 PM EST:

-Gui,
The rumor is true. Spoken from a member of CGA Team USA, and The TechnoKats.
Philip Lundberg

Posted by Erin at 05/09/2001 8:11 AM EST

College Student on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

In Reply to: Re: school-less teams
Posted by Patrick Dingle on 05/05/2001 4:57 PM EST:

(EOM) means end of message.

Posted by Scott England at 05/06/2001 1:13 AM EST

College Student on team #401, The Hokie G.U.A.R.D, from Virginia Tech/MCPS and Virginia Tech/VBEP.

Team 401 last year technically had no affiliation with a high school. (if anyone remembers our name, we were The Blacksburg Power Surge, that was because we did not have permission to use the name Blacksburg High School) Basically it was just 4 Virginia Tech Students(alums of teams 122 and 116) and 10 Blacksburg High School students on a wing and a prayer. Once into the 6 weeks we got a little more support(from companies and adults), but still very little from the high school. All the High school students were “sick” for the 3 days of school that happened to fall during Nationals.
Fortunately I can say though that this year we just skipped over blacksburg high school and managed to make the team a collaboration of Virginia Tech, all of Montgomery County Public Schools and multiple monetary sponsors. That’s why I posted a question asking how teams with multiple high schools functioned, I was concerned since the high school that physically housed the team this year put in 5 new high school students, while we only had 3 new high school students from all the other high schools combined.
~Scott

Posted by Cornelius at 05/06/2001 6:57 PM EST

Student on team #469, Las Guerrillas, from Lawrence Tech and Rexroth, Exide, Nachi, Sverdrup.

Team 469, Las Guerrillas, is a completely student run and student organized team. Students are from various high schools in Oakland County Michigan, but the team has no affiliation with any high school. We are supported by Lawrence Technological University simply to gain Non-Profit Status. As a bunch of students, we knew about the FIRST competition, so we just decided to get involved. The majority of the administrative work is done by a single parent, yet clearly it is possible and successful to have student run teams without school affiliations.

We also want to thank/congratulate our alliances 308, 111, and 85, for our recent victory at the Kokomo invitational.