School/Team Relationships

Our team has a slight problem :frowning: . We’ve been The Penguins for the last two years (before we where the Mystery Machine, but we changed it to avoid possible copyright issues), but our school’s The Flyers. We’ve been getting pressure from the principal and superintendant to change it for the past year, (especially since we won nationals). How many people have had this problem or ones similar to it, and how did you solve it? Thanks for responding.

*Originally posted by Pengiun Joe *
**Our team has a slight problem :frowning: . We’ve been The Penguins for the last two years (before we where the Mystery Machine, but we changed it to avoid possible copyright issues), but our school’s The Flyers. We’ve been getting pressure from the principal and superintendant to change it for the past year, (especially since we won nationals). How many people have had this problem or ones similar to it, and how did you solve it? Thanks for responding. **

You calmly but sternly expain that you have established recognition as The Penguins, and mention that changing names at this juncture could severely impact the potential benefits of that recognition. Then, explain that, as a team, we’ve discussed the issue and decided to maintain our name and identity as it is.

That’s it.

Mind if i ask change it to what? (we are our school’s mascot name, the Cardinal, thus “Robocards!”):smiley:

Since our team is made up of three area high schools we’ve never had a problem with having to use our school mascot/name/whatever… If we did, we’d be the Lightning, the Patriots or the Terrors… Hmm…

I would just go along with Michael’s suggestion. Your team name and number are part of an identity - it’d be like asking you to change your personal name for the sake of the school!

• Katie

Well our High School’s mascot is a Panther and our team is the the Wild Cards, becasue the school gives us no support we just change the name to do nothing with the school we also change our team colors to be diffrent from our school. Its cool cause when we wear our team jackets we really stand out in a crowd of people from our high school.:smiley:

rage to is lucky to have 3 area high schools in that we cant chose one mascot and colors from one school because it would be unfair so that is why are mascot is the bulldog and our colors are red and black or white who knows which of the two is the correct one but ya you should mention that since you have won the nationals that maybe if you change your name than maybe a team wont identify you as a different name and if they had a problem with your name they should have brought it to your attention when you where first starting as a team or when you changed your name the first time

Do what ever it takes to convince the school that you shouldn’t change your name. Our team changed after it’s first year, because we branched off of another team. That year SWATT-2C was the name which included all of the schools involved. However, the third year the team grew and the name changed again to WATTNESS. That year, UP-CHUCK was used for a cheer, and everyone remembered it, and associated it with being the National Finalists. However, we didn’t have a use for UP-CHUCK after that, and people didn’t know us by WATTNESS. Now, after three more years of trying to get established, we may finally be accomplishing that after a very successful year. Moral of the story: DO NOT change your name, it will only hurt you.

I’m glad my school has nothing to do with robotics :slight_smile:

Go Northeast! Err…no

(Wattness is the combination of 5 schools. the ‘ne’ in the name stands for Northeast. After I graduate, the ‘ne’ will have to be removed since I’m the only kid from my school on the team)

*Originally posted by Pengiun Joe *
**Our team has a slight problem :frowning: . We’ve been The Penguins for the last two years (before we where the Mystery Machine, but we changed it to avoid possible copyright issues), but our school’s The Flyers. We’ve been getting pressure from the principal and superintendant to change it for the past year, (especially since we won nationals). How many people have had this problem or ones similar to it, and how did you solve it? Thanks for responding. **

Tell them you will do it if they give you money :smiley: :smiley:

And if they already do, then tell them to give you more money :stuck_out_tongue: