Scouting Sheets- 5099

Hi guys,
I was wondering if there was any other questions I should be asking in these scouting sheets. The balls appear to be pretty subjective to scout this year. Any questions or comments, let me know.

Thanks,
G

I would rethink some of your pit scouting.

• If they can score gears, you will know from the match.
  • If they shoot, you’ll see where and when from the match.
  • Accuracy, match.
  • Climb the rope, match.

Use pit scouting for things that cannot be observed from the match. You’ll get some inaccurate data from pit scouting and also waste the time of your scouts and the people in the pits you are going to.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed, on the match scouting sheet, I noticed that you asked for the match score. This can be very easily obtained from the FRC Events API or The Blue Alliance API. If you’re inputting data to a spreadsheet, you can automatically pull that data into the sheet.

If you’re going to question accuracy you should just have it be a fill in the blank and have your scouters write down what the team says. No body is going to say “almost all of them” they are going to say 80%.

Same thing for your balls/sec. Your numbers are too low for this particular game. If you’ve followed any of the threads on CD you’ll have noticed lots of teams are trying for somewhere between 10 and 20 balls/sec.

Other notes: I like that you don’t ask how many wheels the robot has.

Here are my thoughts:

• Most of the pit scouting info can easily be observed from matches. I recommend using pit scouting to assess things that are harder to observe during the match, such as drivetrain details, type of shooter/climber/intake mechanism, or assessing robustness.
  • Four balls per second is too low a maximum. Even if four balls per second were to be the hard limit for a shooter, consider that some robots will have multiple shooters.
  • The sheets say nothing about auto. The gear is worth 50% more in auto (an extra half a rotor) and fuel is worth three times as much.
  • The sheets say nothing about the number of shots or goals per cycle. There is no way to differentiate between a robot that puts 10 fuel in the high goal and one that puts in 50.
  • The sheets say nothing about the number of fuel cycles or fuel-scoring actions. There is no way to differentiate between a robot that scores 50 fuel once a match and a robot that scores 50 fuel four times a match.
  • The sheets say nothing about how game pieces are acquired. Loading station? Off the floor? Hopper?
  • There’s nowhere for miscellaneous notes.

Note that by collecting so much objective scoring info via pit scouting, your data will likely fall prey to what I like to call the “pit scouting effect”. People tend to remember what their robot can do, not what it typically does. I’m not saying they lie, it’s just what they remember. Keep this in mind when analyzing pit scouting data.

Hi I am a scout master from team 5431. I really like the things that you put on here, but I would add something to both. In both of the scouting forms, there should be a part for some qualitative data such as notes and other things. This allows your team to find out more about the team that the numbers alone don’t tell. Also I would make the blanks smaller for the quantitative data as that does not need a lot of space. For the pit scouting, add things that have to do with the team such as the pit its self and the people in it. Also for this one, include instructions about asking the teams.
-Jeremy

You should definitely observe what people do during their matches but there is some value in determining robot types on Thursday. If you’re match 1 on Friday you won’t know anything about what your partners or opponents do unless you ask and observe on Thursday.

And as Brian said, you really need to know where they load from. That will influence cycle times and defensive maneuvers.

Adding a place for generic notes is crucial. If a scout notices something crazy cool or crazy bad they need a place to record it.

Hey! Good start with the scouting sheets you put you :slight_smile: The biggest suggestion I can make is that most of your questions are very broad and subjective qualitative points. For example, when you’re talking accuracy (from your “Stands” scouting sheet), you divide it up into 3 categories: 1/4 of the shots, 1/2 of the shots, and almost all of the shots. Each of these categories is very unspecific. For example, your “almost all shots make it” could include robots that score 60%, 70%, 80% and so on of their shots, when in reality, these are very different levels of accuracy. Having more, specifically labeled options (say, 10% intervals) will allow you to group teams more effectively. That said, it is a tough question. The “how are we going to count balls” questions is one every team is asking; to which my best answer is “Do whatever you think your scouts can handle.”

My second suggestion is for your pit scouting; the unfortunate truth of pit scouting is that most team’s will not give you an accurate representation of their robot’s ability. Because of this, I prefer to leave the qualitative, broad notes to pit scouting. I can’t remember what our’s has on it off the top of my head, but questions like “What kind of drive system do you have?”, “Where can you acquire balls from?”, or “What is your ball capacity?” were definitely in the discussion.

Good luck with your scouting and at the competitions! If you’re looking for any more input, shoot me a PM or something, I’m happy to help.