Scrumming

Eh, I have to disagree. The concepts in “scrum” are used in a dozen different ways under a dozen different names. “Critical Path”, “Stumbling Blocks”, “Impediments”, I’ve heard the same management techniques named different ways over the last 30 years. Most of it in manufacturing environments. When you dig into “Scrum” deeply, you find dozens of acronyms and buzzwords. I challenge anyone to read the Wikipedia entry without rolling their eyes at the pointy-haired-boss management speak buried inside it.

That said, many of the concepts are useful if they are applied correctly, and if Scrum is the particular framework that introduces students to prioritizing their work flow and managing their to-do list then it’s a definitely a net positive.

The issue is people think that these Buzzwords are tools and can be used like a tool. Brought out when it is needed to fix something. The root of all these Buzzwords is a particular Culture that forms something more than a toolbox of these very neat concepts that work for these companies who abide by this Culture.

thank you, well said.

I understand, thank you.

Just an idea, although a bit in the future. You are often allowed to bring a few different robots to off season events. I have seen teams bring their comp bot, and then their practice bot under a team 9999 or something along those lines. Bringing them to an off season event may be a good way to still keep those other two robots and student teams engaged and able to use their robot to compete.

that is a good idea, thank you