Second Generation?

After listening to Mr. Kamen’s speech Friday at Smokey Mountain, I was wondering after 20 years is there any second generation student in First FRC?

It looks like there may not be any second generation students in FRC yet. I was just wondering when we may hear some student say my grandmother competed on Einstein back in ____.

It seems very unlikely to already have a second generation. 20 years means the alumni from around 1992 must have a kid when he was about 22 years old unless he is taking care of a kid from adoption or some other means.

We have +/- 5 years before that happens.

However, I can’t wait until we start seeing Dean’s List/WFA Award Combo Winners. What a way to know FIRST is working down to such an individual level!

If it’s about 5 years until we see 2nd generation FRC’ers, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were already 2nd generation FIRSTers in JrFLL/FLL.

Not necessarily, since FIRST has been around for 20 years, and we assume that there was an 18 year old senior on a team it’s initial year. Said senior then waited until he was 24 to have a kid, that child could now be 14. This would mean that the kid is now a freshman in high-school. It is plausible that there could be a “Second Generation” around now on an FRC team. I don’t think that it will even have to take another 5 years, we could start seeing them anytime now. It just depends on the student’s experiences, their current locations, student interest, etc… There are a lot of factors to think about, but the numbers show that we could theoretically see one soon!

This may not be in the way you mean…but my family has 3 generations in FIRST. My parents have been judges at both the Regional and World level for over 12 years. I am a team mom and all three of my kids were students on the team. Now my son is a mentor on the same team while my youngest is still a student.

When we start seeing the number of second generation student increase does it match the growth of First from the start? This should be a good gauge that shows we are heading in the right direction.

Sorry for the thread necro…

Just wanted to say that Team Mean Machine 2471 has some second generation students.
We got two freshman this year who’s father was a student on the X-Cats in 1992.

Are these the first true second generation FRC students?

I’m curious to here if there are any others that the chief delphi community knows about.

Why? This is fabulous necro!

Woah! :ahh: :ahh:

That’s awesome! Also, that lines up pretty well with what the earlier posters in this thread guessed.

This is the FIRST I have heard of this. I know some former students from 1992 (and other early year) teams, but none have kids on FRC or FTC teams yet.

This is cool.

Andy B.

We have +/- 5 years before that happens.[/quote]

Wow, Wil was right.

Sorry to bust your bubble but this is from a thread called FIRST Babies back in 2014

It would be great info if FIRST would have a section in stims if parents have FIRST experience.:smiley:

Now that’s a statement you don’t see very often.

Wicked cool that second generation FIRSTers walk among us. Now onward to await the Dean’s List + WFFA in a few more years. (Or a lot of more years…)

reported