self replicating robots....

I just got an article about self replicating robots… basically they search the surroundings for spare parts then use them to build a copy…
Link to the article here

I checked this out moments ago via Slashdot and I have to say that I found the video uninspiring. I guess my idea of a self-replicating robot requires that the “basic building blocks” be exactly that - basic (scrap metal, elements, etc) - not pre-made very complex building blocks places nicely on blocks at the right height and distance for a robot to grab them and “replicate.”

Just my $0.02…

can’t really watch the video here…

Maybe try:
http://www.mae.cornell.edu/ccsl/research/selfrep/video/4x4ht4a.mpg

nah, i meant on the college system lol

I found this this morning on Wired.com via News.Google.com. I found it very interesting. We are still many years away from anything building itsself from scrap yet I believe. It was undoubtedly interesting. I did an abstract on it for Advanced Bio 2.

When I saw the topic, I was thinking of nanobots that could use basic molecules to create replicas of themselves. I was invisioning swarms of nanobots that could come together like a glob and accomplish tasks and if more bots were needed they could replicate themselves.

Wishful thinking. lol

Can anyone say, “Terminator”?