seniors only!!!!!!!!

so how do all of you feel now that we take control of the team and have to teach new freshmen everything?

i don’t mind teaching the newbies… provided they don’t come in with the “i’m male so i must be better at everything on this team than any female, no matter how long she’s been here” complex. that REALLY ticks me off.
then there’s the girls that come in to flirt and find guys they can hang on and leave when they realize it’s work. me very much dislikes those girls

Girls go to your team to find guys? Wow, I want to go to your school :stuck_out_tongue: lol

I find the biggest problems w/ the youngins is that (no matter who they are…guy or girl) they are convinced that their own idea is the only answer (and of course the best). Mind you, sometimes it is, bit not ALWAYS.

Plus, a lot of them don’t seem to understand the commitment that FIRST really is. Once the clock hits 6:00, they want to go eat dinner (mind you some of the Sr’s do that too).

Altho, in all fairness to the Jr’s on my team, there are a few of them that are REALLY hard-working, and super commited to the team and to FIRST. Harts off to all those people out there!

Freshies are okay…just as long as they don’t freaking follow me around! I don’t mind showing them what to do…how else are they going to learn? It’s better they bug me than the engineers. If I can’t answer something (or just don’t feel like it), I’ll redirect them to someone who can help them. Be nice to freshies…well, untill competition when they can’t go home :smiley:

It’s interesting how there’s such a seperation between “freshmen” and “seniors” in your high schools.

Such seperations don’t seem to exist at my school - in fact, the terminology isn’t even used in Toronto high schools (to the best of my knowledge)

yeah the newbies can be pretty annoying sometimes, especially when they want everything to kinda do it all by itself. They want their ideas to be heard, yet a lot of them don’t even put in the time necessary… on the bright side, we’re graduating in June! :smiley: I’m literally counting down the days dudes.

Our high school is a residential school for juniors and seniors only. And besides that, this is our rookie year, so there is almost no seperation between grades.

While the little seperation is good, being a 2-year school may make it hard to keep the program going, but I hope that team 1020 will continue to exist in future years.

yeah the freshmen bug me all the time they always no matter what interrupt and cant wait to say there stupid ideas like making a robot that grapples to the top of the rafters and every time we try to do something out side of robotics like me and my Friends all the freshmen on the team want to follow and tag along like an annoying little brother.anyway i guess its cool to have freshmen on the team to carry the program on but those freshmen that think they know everything and want to take control of the team because it would look good on their resumes or the Juniors who join because it would look good on their college applications i can do without. they should learn first before just spitting their ideas first

Try to keep in mind that rookies have never built a robot before and they are going to have some wild and crazy ideas! But they should not be discouraged. Rookies are the fresh set of eyes, ears and ideas on every team! They will think of things that have never crossed the minds of your 3 year veterans. Instead of telling them, “That’s stupid. It can’t be done,” Try explaining why it can’t be done. Help them improve on their design. Implement some of your ideas in their design. Compromise, work together. Remember, you too were once a rookie! :slight_smile:

• Katie

*Originally posted by KennethToronto *
**It’s interesting how there’s such a seperation between “freshmen” and “seniors” in your high schools.

Such seperations don’t seem to exist at my school - in fact, the terminology isn’t even used in Toronto high schools (to the best of my knowledge) **

No, we call them Minor Niners :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Altho granted, there does seem to be less separation than in some places.

And in general, the Freshie and Sr terms are mainly American terms.

Wait… Y’all were freshmen once, right? Remember that indimidating feeling when you entered a robotics room with all those seniors?

fight or flee- You just tried to prove yourself to the seniors, just tried to show you weren’t some dumb little kid…

Speaking from true experience…

P.S.- I’m not a freshman, and yes, I did some stupid things when I was a freshman

*Originally posted by OneAngryDaisy *
**Wait… Y’all were freshmen once, right? Remember that indimidating feeling when you entered a robotics room with all those seniors?

fight or flee- You just tried to prove yourself to the seniors, just tried to show you weren’t some dumb little kid…

Amen.

I’m a senior on my team, with three years of involment. Yes, the younger kids can get a little bit annoying sometimes due to their lack of expierence, but they are your team’s future, and not to mention your current team mates. A team is a group of people that work together, not fight amongst eachother over stupid things.

*Originally posted by DanLevin247 *
**Amen.

I’m a senior on my team, with three years of involment. Yes, the younger kids can get a little bit annoying sometimes due to their lack of expierence, but they are your team’s future, and not to mention your current team mates. A team is a group of people that work together, not fight amongst eachother over stupid things. **

BINGO! Yea, you some times want to punch them in the face, but you subside that and teach them the right way!!

freshmen who stay are fine by me. the freshmen who bug me are the ones who come for two meetings then leave. or the ones who come with an attitude that they have to help the “poor weak upperclassmen girls”. lol. all it takes is some training, and they turn out fine.

Sometimes, freshies can be helpful, but they’re usually just annoying because they’re…well…freshmen

*Originally posted by OneAngryDaisy *
Wait… Y’all were freshmen once, right? Remember that indimidating feeling when you entered a robotics room with all those seniors?

Nope :stuck_out_tongue:

My school didn’t have a team when I was a freshie.

*Originally posted by HolyMasamune *
**Sometimes, freshies can be helpful, but they’re usually just annoying because they’re…well…freshmen **

Dont be predjudiced against someone because of their grade/knowledge level. Your team was new last year, so you all were at the same level, meaning you make fun of freshies, then you are making fun of yourself. Even this year, the freshies probably know almost as much as everyone else. Thats the nice thing about rookie teams, there can’t be any distinguishment, because noone knows how to build a robot.

(Sorry if I sound like an @#@#$@#:rolleyes: )

Cory

*Originally posted by Cory *
**there can’t be any distinguishment, because noone knows how to build a robot.

(Sorry if I sound like an @#@#$@#:rolleyes: )

Implying that nobody on our team knows how to build a robot does indeed make you sound like a @#@#$@#.

Im sorry if it sounded wrong. What I was trying to say is the beauty is noone has built a robot before, so they dont really know any more or less than any other person on the team. I didnt mean to imply that your team does not know how to make a robot.:smiley:

Sorry

Cory

WELL in a way i like actually being the big person…however…there are always things that the newbies can teach us and things…and sometimes they have good ideas and the things that they say can actually help the team out. they don’t usually know how things are done…but they are fast learners…but i like it…makes me feel important…even though i’m not :smiley: