September Invitationals

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #1, The Juggernauts, from Oakland Technical Center-Northeast Campus and 3-Dimensional Services.

Posted on 5/17/2000 5:23 AM MST

Hi guys, this actually has nothing to do with my team, it is something I was wondering about your teams- I would just like individual response on personal preference.

Our team will most likely be attending the 2 newest Michigan Invitationals (Ford Sweet Repeat and Kettering) and our human player and I were discussing just who will be the human player for those tourneys…

Think about it, they can’t really use the time to train a new human player because next year, this game may be wayyyyy off from the new one (i.e.: floppies to balls!) I can see how training new drivers would be ok (since driving a robot can be practiced on different machines) but what about the human player?
What are you guys doing?

-Erin

Posted by Joe Ross.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #330, Beach Bot 2000, from Hope Chapel Academy and NASA/JPL & J&F Machine.

Posted on 5/17/2000 2:31 PM MST

In Reply to: September Invitationals posted by Erin on 5/17/2000 5:23 AM MST:

Even though the task that the human player is going to have to do will be different, we are still going to let someone new try to be our human player. When you are on the field, there is a tremendous amount of pressure. We found that last year, the person who could throw floppies the best couldn’t handle the pressure being up on stage with a bunch of people watching him. We are using the invitationals as a way to find out who can handle the pressure and who can’t.

Joe Ross
Team 330

Posted by David Kelso.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #131, C.H.A.O.S.-, from Central High School and OSRAM SYLVANIA/ Fleet Bank.

Posted on 5/17/2000 3:31 PM MST

In Reply to: September Invitationals posted by Erin on 5/17/2000 5:23 AM MST:

The role of the human player ‘tossing ballz’ was only 15% of the job of our tremendous human player, Dave Carter. Use that person as an additional coach, scorekeeper, strategist or robot emergency repair person. If 3 people can do the job equally well, you must consider all the other ways that the H.P. can help out.

When you select your human player, you must be clear concerning the factors that will be used in selection of the person. Also consider that you do not want just a few students to be the ones to do everything. Spread the wealth around.

So, regardless of the game in 2001, this is your chance to see who can help out most on the stage team.