Setting Up a Denso Window Motor

Hey everyone!

I’m currently wiring up a Denso window motor to our robot, and I was hoping I could get some help. The plan is for this window motor to power a “rake” that will grab on to Orbit balls and draw them into a firing chamber.

The motor should be on the entire time that the robot is powered, but we still want to be able to turn it off in case of emergnecy. Should we wire this motor through a Jaguar, Victor, or Spike? I’m personally thinking a Spike…

Also, how do I power this motor? I’ve looked through the KoP, and I can’t find any connection that matched the housing around the power inputs on the motor. Am I supposed to just solder wires to the connections?

Thanks for all you help!

If you are using the Denso motor on a collecting device you may want to have some speed control to optimize the efficiency of the collector vs power utilization - hence a Jaguar is the best choice - available from Digikey:
http://ordering.digikey.com/Promotions/FirstRoboticsCompetition.aspx

Spikes will not give you this speed control.

Solder to the leads on the motor connector and then heat shrink.

Let me get this straight: A Spike will only give me control in the aspect of off/on, right?

Using a Jaguar or a Victor will give me control in the aspect of speed as well, right?

We’re using all of our Jaguars, and we don’t really want to spend too much money, but we have a couple Victors left over. Would there be any big advantage to using the Jaguars?

I would recommend you try wiring it to a Spike first. It sounds like you only need the Forward/Reverse/Off control a Spike provides. If you hook it up and find that you want to vary the speed or use a speed slower than the Spike allows, you can wire it up to a Victor instead.

For an application like this the advantages of the Jaguar (limit switches and linearity) are probably not critical and a Victor should work fine if you have better uses for either the space or the money or both.

Thanks! Your description of what the Spike will do is exactly what we want. We don’t really care about controlling speed, we just need to be able to turn it off in case something goes wrong.

Thanks, and I’ll let you know how it turned out!

Also, you can hook wires up to it by crimping on the female end of a spade connector (very cheap at any radio shack - $0.05 a piece).

(Note this may not be the exact one you need - it’s just an example)

Bend them slightly closed with a pair of pliers so they’re nice and snug on the motor spades (these are the 2 prongs that stick out inside the white connector). Slide them on.

Then wrap your wire in a loop and zip-tie it to the white housing for strain relief.

Now when you burn up the motor, or need to take it off, you aren’t cutting and resoldering.

I like the sound of that, and I’m pretty sure that we have some of those sitting around the storage room! Thanks!