Sharp Object Qualification

We were thinking of using a thin sheet of aluminum on our robot which we are not sure if it qualifies as a sharp edge. It is contained within the cutout of our chassis and we were wondering if it was okay to use sheet metal that was extremely thin?

Thanks,
Prat
Team 3482

If you have the edges against something, it should be fine.
Just think about a student reaching their hand into the robot to check a wire, or other part. If you think there is a chance that they can get jabbed or cut, it is unsafe.

You can do really thin sheet metal, no problem. If the edges are sharp enough to worry you, cut some pneumatic hose down the length and put it over the edge. No more cuts.

Do a google search for “sheet metal hemming”. This method can be used to eliminate a sharp edge, but you do need a sheet metal brake to make it.

Read the blue box that goes along with R06 … It basically boils down what people like me (Humble Inspectors) think about your application of the thin edge. We may or may not think it’s a hazard to the playing field and/or people in and around the field. You also may get a different interpretation of it’s safety at each event you attend. It’s best to not push the boundary of the rule too close in this case.

Another inspector here. The thing I usually do is to touch (gently) every edge and corner that I can get to easily. anywhere i think a student might try to lift the robot from or under the robot where you might try to find the screw you dropped. If there is any edge that makes me want to pull my hand back, then that edge needs something. often filing can do it, but for sheet metal it’s often sufficient to use a strip of electrical tape the long way on the edge to soften it, sometimes a few layers. attaching split pneumatic tube (with zip ties if possible) is another option mentioned above that is ok. be careful splitting the tube the long way though. The safety inspectors are watching. ::safety::

I also touch every zip tie i can find, even if clipped, they can often be sharp, so a careful clipping is often needed to prevent scratches.