Shaveless Season...

Several members of 159 are starting a pact:

For the duration of the FIRST season, i.e. January 10th through the end of Nats, there will be no shaving, trimming, or other grooming of facial hair, whatsoever. We will be taking before pictures at kickoff, and after pictures in Atlanta. We want YOU to join us in this venture!

We will be collecting pics either at [email protected] (me) or at 159’s pit in Atlanta.

JOIN US!

You are all insane. I guess its good for FIRST spirit, but seriosuly. If my team did that, we would look like bums because most of us have questionabel hygene habits as it is…

I agree…

You guys will look like bums after all the time till Atlanta. You will definitely have to post the pics on CD after your pictures are taken. Ill try to tlk some of 71 into doing it but even I am not that daring.

-Greg The Great

Is that how you talk about your team!?!? This board is somewhat of a showcase and what I say reflects positively on my team. You should do the same. :stuck_out_tongue:

Our team is great, but after working 27 hourse straight, they stink…

I’d do it (probably not even intentionally!) except…

My girlfriend would STRONGLY object.

shrug :rolleyes:

John

[edit]
My amazing and considerate girlfriend, who puts up with so much crap during the FIRST season, and is very compromising when it comes to FIRST, (the ultimate time drain)… Anyone who thinks I should leave her because she likes me clean shaven (a small gesture I can make, for all the things she puts up with) needs to get their priorities re-examined… :frowning:
[/edit]

I’d do it (probably not even intentionally!) except…

I would say that if your girlfriend doesn’t understand the magnitude of your FIRST spirit… then you need a new girlfriend. Now you people quit being wimps and DO IT!

One of the mentors, Tim did that on our team last year. Well, I think he did! A beard appeared towards the beginning of the season and dissappeared late. I’d do it, but being in a private school, they do not allow us to have favial hair.

Edit:

My amazing and considerate girlfriend, who puts up with so much crap during the FIRST season, and is very compromising when it comes to FIRST, (the ultimate time drain)… Anyone who thinks I should leave her because she likes me clean shaven (a small gesture I can make, for all the things she puts up with) needs to get their priorities re-examined… :frowning:

I WHOLE HEARTEDLY agree… I know I wouldn’t be to forgiving over that one either, especially after giving in to so much other regarding FIRST.
However, to those of you that brave the adventure, good luck… and my thoughts are with you as you swelter in Atlanta’s heat.

well im not sure how many first-ies know this, but most likely just the ones that are closer to the east coast, or michigan etc. but in the early middle build season, one of our mentors, steve w on the forums made us a bet that if we won a regional competition, he would have his ponytail cut, and if we won nationals, he would shave his head. well needless to say we didnt win nationals, but we took the west michigan regionals, and he had to live up to his promise… in front of the whole arena might i add.

talk about some kind of motivation huh? well actually this was more like the icing on a cake for a season spent. but this guy has always had crazy hair, so i mean the loss of the ponytail didnt affect him too much =)

Members of Cooney Quest (#269) will be joining you in the shaveless season :cool:

Here’s what happens when you make promises like that and your team actually wins nationals :slight_smile: http://www2.wildstang.org/gallery/2003_Nationals_haircut. If you had hair on your balcony on Sunday morning, sorry, it was us.

Hmmm, this seems like an perfect for a fundraiser. (I have a one track mind for $$, I know, that’s why they kept me around).

Think about it though. People have walk-a-thons and dance-a-thons where they do something semi-normal for an extended period of time and have lots of people pledge small amounts of money. Someone pledges a dime for everyday you don’t shave, like a don’t-shave-a-thon? So the name needs a little work but imagine it…

You get 30 people to pledge x 10 cents a day x 45 days of build season x 20 members on your team = $2700 (and that’s only asking for $4.50 from your friends & family. Of course you can change these figures if you want more or less).

While the main goal of this process may be team spirit and unity, raising money for something you’re already doing can’t hurt, and might even be an extra nudge of motivation. Just an idea to throw out there.

Ok, I’m game…

But I do have a couple questions.

I already have a considerable amount of facial hair as it is - since like this summer I think. Are you planning on shaving the day before kickoff, and then seeing how you look at Nationals, or just going from where you are now with facial growth and going from there??

Are you all starting this thing on an “even” and cleanly shaven playing field?

LOL

I would do it, but there is a slight problem… Im a firefighter.

We are not allowed to have any facial hair (except moustaches), because it wont work with our HEPA masks (SCBA masks). Therfore, i can’t run into any burning buildings with a beard; and i just can’t do that!

[quote=JVN]I’d do it (probably not even intentionally!) except…

shrug :rolleyes:

John

[edit]

I am way ahead on this one, Last time I shaved was 1986!
My wife, last year said if I did shave it was devorice time (I think she was kidding, but I don’t push my luck!)
The blue beard went over good last year…so…
I stoped triming short in nov. 03, this year I am going for blue dredlocks.

Its going to be an intresting year!

Geo.

P.S.
I didn’t know anyone read let alone Quoted “Zen and the art of MC”![/quote]

Okay several changes have been made in order to gain more participation in our team, and hopefully yours as well.

Official Rules:

1. You do not have to shave the day before kickoff, as long as there is a “before” picture taken the day of kickoff .

2. In my original message I said Jan 10- Apr 17, but that has changed to be the build season instead of the ENTIRE season…

3. “Before” and “After” pictures should be sent to [email protected] (me) or to 159’s pit in any of our comps (Denver, Atlanta, and quite possibly Portland) AND/OR posted on CD. Any pictures recieved by us will be posted in this thread and on our website, http://phsrobotics.netfirms.com

4. This does not merely mean “no shaving,” but no trimming, cutting, or other shortening. (except for cool “dos” like braids or dye)

Thanks to all who have pledged your hand in this venture!

P.S. I didn’t really mean that comment about dumping the no-facial-hair girlfriend, I forgot my <sarcasm></sarcasm>'s

edit —>

Come to think of it magnas right im not really allowed to have a beard either b/c i also work with a respirator and the people i work for says we must have a clean shaven face when wearing the respirators so that no toxians get inside the immune system :confused: oh well. ill try it like i said b4 and go as far as i can before i’m required to shave it all off

Listen if i could suggest it to my old team they’d sit there and laugh. most of the coaches have facial hair and what not but by the time the build season is over there bald from all the hair pulling they did those last 6 weeks. Espicially them having to put up with me while I assist them with various things! :yikes:

I’d do that as well but I don’t look very good with facial hair. I’ll try it and take my non shaving campaign as far as i can before the parents tell me to SHAVE that stuff away. :wink:

So our team was part of this whole Shaveless Season, and I shaved a couple weeks ago and I was punished today, my head is shaved, watch for pics tommorrow.

Ha, this sounds like so much fun, I would have done it but I am in the same boat as magnasmific. Anyway one kid on my team has done this without knowing of such a thing so there wont be a fefore pic is that still okay?