Shift happens/Did you know 2.0

I remember someone created a thread with the first version of this video. The second one came out a few months ago and if you have not seen it, you are missing out on the big picture of many things. This is one of the few videos where they impress you with the statistics and then tell you all their sources. I am very impressed.

Check it out.

Also look at their sources for further research. This is tremendously helpful to promote FIRST and further education in your school district.

Its actually quite a touching piece that they made. Thankfully, our administration and school board love the FIRST programs and are always willing to provide us with funds and understand the difference they are making. If this isn’t already listed in the rookie resources page, it should be. =)

I am really torn by this “presentation.” As an Educator, i’d glad people are having this conversation, however, after looking at the list of sources, some of them I would not used to make these conclusions. Wiki’s and websites are not primary sources and should be used sparingly. 4 of these “facts” come from the same website (which is unreachable at the time of this posting).

I find the premise interesting, however, I find their conclusions lacking if they cannot be backed up by valid and vetted sources.

Karl Fisch is an educator and technologist from Colorado. He has been going through iterations of this presentation he used in his district Littleton Public Schools, including Arapahoe High School. It is eye opening and he uses it to be thought provoking. He has always cited his sources. I have shown it in many forms to my students and co-teachers. He has an interesting philosophy of teaching that many others embrace and others criticize. His blog - The Fischbowl always has a running commentary as well as credits to the people who have modified (with permission) the original presentation of “Shift Happens”

It is slick and well made, but several of the sources are not credible. His sources are not peer reviewed, therefore, i would not use them in a professional capacity. However, i might use it as a platform for discussion in my class. The topic: Can you trust everything you see of the internet?

As an educator, I like this spin off video better than the origianl … Shift Happens Narrated, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqfunyCeU5g

Students seem to like this one better that was used in AIESEC motivation conferences… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uX_QFGbwVY

It gets the intended message across … period

“everything”? Heck, most of the time I am left wondering “can you trust ANYTHING you see on the internet?”!!!

-dave

I thought this was going to be an advertisement for Andy Mark lol

I like it.
It is inspiring , revealing and alarming.
It is thought provoking and a catalyse for some great discussion and debates.

It can also make a great opening statement or a segway (no pun intended) into why we need FIRST in the U.S.

Would you feel the same way if the facts used were not accurate or entirely fabricated? Why would you want to start a discussion based on suspect information?

Accurate or not, the statistics, the data or the content is not important for what I would intent to use it for.
It is the topics or the direction of the subject matter that are my concern.

These topics are not new and they are a normal item of discussion amongst the FIRST mentors and volunteer in my area for years.
Someone just put them together in a media presentation.
We would definitely not quote from it.

As a graduate of engineering, it is sad to see the diminishing numbers students in the engineering and sciences. Many of the FIRST volunteers I know have the same view and we all want to help change the tide and make a difference.

So why not talk about it? It is the heart of FIRST.

I agree with you because even if these facts were fabricated and not true (which they really aren’t) the topic is what matters. This is the spark of discussion. I showed the video to my brother and he said that even one of his professors at Cornell made an adaptation of this presentation in his Natural Resources class. And if this video and others like it can spark a discussion in a place such as Cornell or in the FIRST community, then why would it matter about the facts? (although they are mostly true such as from the Dept. of Labor Statistics)

wilsonmw04:

What specific info are you challenging? I’d be curious to know.

I do that the main reason they updated this to version 2.0 was to address concerns like yours from the original. But I guess the concerns are still there. I never was good at citations, can you tell me what you question?

Then you’ve missed the point completely. The idea of this video is to get people thinking about how rapidly things change. Where will the world be in 10 years? What are we learning now as students that will be applicable and relevant in the near future? These are the topics that should be discussed, not if the sources are valid. It doesn’t take a credible source to know that the world has changed and will continue to change.

Here are some of the statements that i professionally would not use in this presentation:

In the next 8 seconds 34 babies . . . Web search on population, then did the math.
What site/source? Where did these figures come from?

China #1 English Speaking Country Somebody at the Milken Conference – reported at Will Richardson - Essay Writer
Hearsay? Or Gossip? (source was not sited on blog)

**10,000 hours of video games Interactive Videogames, Mediascope, June 1996. **
11 year old data?(I could not find this magazine through Mediascope’s website or a quick digital library search)

Words in English Language Originally from Ian Jukes - http://web.mac.com/iajukes/iWeb/thecommittedsardine/Handouts_files/fgtgtg.pdf
(dead Link)
Lots on the web, many indicating more than 540,000 – including Wikipedia - English language - Wikipedia
(wiki: enough said) i’m not disputing the fact, however, primary sources are out there, 2 of them are on my bookshelf

Like i’ve said twice now: i would not use this presentation for personal and professional reasons. I would not put something in front of my 120 students, my principals, or schoolboard that i could not personally stand behind.

I DO get the point. As I stated in my original post:

As an Educator, i’d glad people are having this conversation.

But why does the conversation have to have an “Us versus Them” slant to it? There is so much good material out there to make your point with, why use this particular source? Wait, I think i understand why. It creates and emotional response from your audience. This is where my personal objections comes into play. Couldn’t you get the same response by telling people the honest and hard truth (backed up by valid and vetted sources)? It’s whole “the ends justify the means” mentality that rubs me the wrong way when it could be done correctly with just a little bit of effort.