Shooter Leaving marks on Disks

After kickoff our team went down to our local harbor frieght and bought This and spinning direct off a CIM it shoots pretty well but it leaves a red ring of rubber on the frizbees. we were wondering if this is happening to anyone else and if the andymark penumatic wheels leave any marks.

Thanks,
Paul Troy

The 2013 KOP wheel leaves a white mark on the Frisbees.

Our team was testing a variety of wheels in our prototype shooter, almost all of them left marks on the frisbee.

All of our test wheels leave marks. Black Pneumatic tires were the worst and were taking pieces of plastic off the Bees. Chose to forgo the Pneumatic because of the damage to the field element.

Consdering what the majority of the shooter designs are going to be like. I’m sure the rules regarding field element damage is going to me very minimal in punishment if any at all. I’m sure they expected that the frisbees would at least get “scuffed” up while in play.

We built a linear two wheel shooter with the AndyMark pneumatic wheels and it leaves a scuff but doesn’t really damage the frisbee.

has anyone found a way to avoid this?

Star Trek transporter.

We partially melted one…

Realistically, they expect damage on these. Last year, the balls were destroyed after a day of play. These frisbees will hold up much better.

Just theorizing, but more gradual step up in wheel speed? As long as your frisbee isn’t instantly accelerated to math the wheel velocity, you’re gonna leave a mark. Slower relative speed will probably reduce or eliminate marks. So if you have three wheels that spin at 2k, 4k, and 6k, you’d probably leave less marks than a shooter with just a 6k wheel.

With the testing we have done it looks like there is not a way to avoid it,with out lowing the speed of the wheels and there being less contact with the wheel and the Frisbee.

With the testing we have done it looks like there is not a way to avoid it,without lowing the speed of the wheels and there being less contact with the wheel and the Frisbee and that would make the Frisbee shoot inaccurate.

i understand and accept that there will be some rubber on the Frisbees but our shooter was leaving a 1/4 inch red streak across the entire Frisbee i’d be quite happy if that was reduced to a small smudge

Our team switched to that exact same wheel for our prototype today. We found that it shoots significantly better than this year’s KOP wheel and the 8" KOP wheels from 2 years ago. We also experienced the same red marking on our Frisbees. While the scuff marks are certainly visible, I don’t think it’s actually damaging the Frisbee.

Go with the spirit of the rule on this one. Scuffing up is expected on shooters. It’s going to be extremely hard to not do so.

A robot that pinches a frisbee to pick it up, and in doing so cracks it, is not going to fly (or climb??? :rolleyes: ).