Shopping Cart or Carriage?

Sorry, very random question, but I figured you guys are from all over the country and could tell me whether you call them shopping carts or carriages, or anything else. I work at a Supermarket and a customer became upset with me when I asked for his carriage, he said he didn’t know what I was talking about, I needed to call it a cart to have him acknowledge me, now I’m curious what other people call them!

in boston we call them cahts…

…but personally i call them those crazy-cages-on-wheels-they-have-at-the-grocery-store

In south Florida they’re carts…at least with us <i>true</i> Floridians…everyone else is from somewhere else, it seems, but most people call them carts.

~Angela who’s never heard the term carriage for a shopping cart

carts in michigan… ive heard basket also…

Carts in both NY and MD. I’ve never heard them called carriages however. Sounds like there should be a horse pulling it…

Matt

I call them carriages, but people around CT can call them carts or carriages… :confused:

I’ve heard carts, carriages, and buggys.
C~ya,
Carolyn

Here we call them carts. I have neer heard them called carriages before.

both

-Ed “Paper or plastic, cart or carriage” McDonnell

Never heard of carriages before. We call 'em carts.

baskets or carts for us “true floridians”

yep… “cahts” in Boston … and I have heard “buggy” a lot in the Carolinas - particulary North Carolina.

~ lora

do you have horses to pull your carriages?

never heard it in anyother context :wink:

it’s shopping carts for the Hawaiians…

It’s a horse with a buggy behind…

Matt who’ll stop telling really bad jokes now…

Matt, sometimes “bad” jokes are good to hear. If no one kept them going, there wouldn’t be anymore.
C~ya,
Carolyn who has contests with her friends to find the worst jokes possible. :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

pam- i work in a grocery store too… i definitely call them carriages…

some people call 'em wagons… i have no clue what they are talking about when they say that. :slight_smile:

I call 'em shopping carts. Though, I think I have heard people refer to them as a wagon. And as far as the whole buggy things goes, I have a friend with the last name Buggy, so I have to be very careful not to make any jokes about that. :slight_smile: Oh, and that’s on Long Island, NY.

~Christina ºoº

I was hoping some of these replys would back me up on my whole carriage thing, it must be a NH term :). stupid horse and buggy jokes, exactly what my crazed customer said :rolleyes: !

Hoosiers (in Indiana) call them carts.