Shorts in the pits?

Shorts in the pits and on drivers? I seem to remember a time when it was not allowed. I did not allow team members to wear shorts. One of my people counted 61 in shorts before she stopped. No rule?

No rule that I know of. Our team’s uniforms doesn’t allow it however.

1 Like

No rule that I’m aware of. At least not a literal rule, just a social rule. I guess it’s from a fear of kneeling down in metal shavings.

While it was suggested that we wore pants on our team I wore shorts at all the events last year to keep cool as I get hot pretty easily. While i guess it can be taboo, its a lot more comfortable than you would think!

Shorts are comfy and easy to wear!

Relevant edit: I can’t seem to find anything in the rules about shorts in the pits. Close toed shoes and eyewear, however…

1 Like

Keep in mind I never did any actual work on the robot myself so shorts didn’t necessarily cause any problems in my case.

Being from Minnesota I think anything above 60 deg. F is hot. So shorts are my go to FRC attire for competitions. Been doing it for many years in the pits and as a drive coach.

I don’t thinks shorts should be allowed in the pits. Remember to insulate all of your wires!:rolleyes:

I assumed this was about power supply to the pits, I was alarmed at first that we might have a serious safety situation.

I’ve never NOT worn shorts to an event in the past 7 years. No plan on stopping that this year.

It gets way too hot back there.

Take a skirt (or a manly kilt) with you to the event. If someone complains about your shorts, just put on the skirt. :rolleyes:

PS: Always keep unprotected legs away from sharp corners, disassembled machinery, moving machines’ pinch points, etc. especially in crowded locations.
PPS: Keep loose skirts, kilts, scarves, neckties, other loose clothing, hair, necklaces, bracelets, etc. away from moving machinery.

Shorts are definitely allowed in Sydney - with outside temperatures approaching 90 degrees (F), it would be dangerous to make everyone wear long pants!

But remember especially when in Australia, that long pants can prevent/ reduce the depth to which snakes and also Redbacks:) can bite you on the leg. Also long pants are especially useful for sun protection. Australia has been having some problems with depletion of the Ozone layer in recent years, so protection from UV radiation is important in Sydney.

There are plenty of long pant options which are breathable, in Australia there are lots of long pants aimed at Trades people which are designed to be as breathable as possible while still maintaining sun-protection and graze protection etc

I can’t really see the need to wear shorts, when there are plenty of breathable and lightweight long pant options available, well in Australia anyway. I guess it comes down to personal choice

I’ve worn shorts to every robotics competition I’ve ever been to. It’s not an issue.

We wear dressy clothes on Fridays (White button down, khaki pants, orange tie, blazer) and t-shirt + whatever choice of clothing you want to wear for your bottoms on every other day.

I hate pants, so I wear shorts. No issue. Columbia PFG omni-shade masterrace.

I am not a huge fan of shorts in a shop environment. Mostly because I have hairy legs that tend to collect aluminum swarf then slowly deposit it into my shoes.

We encourage shorts on our team, considering it is part of team uniform. However, we cover up using our rad checkered socks all team members receive. It has never been an issue for us, from a safety perspective or otherwise.

To my knowledge, from 2007-2016, there has never been a rule mandating what kind of pants pit people have to wear.

Some teams have policies for varying reasons. (For example, 4451 requires long pants since they meet inside the Bosch plant; if I come up to get parts or something, I also have to have them on.)

That said, thank goodness they aren’t a rule or I’d have melted in Orlando.

T-Shirts are allowed and bare arms are more likely to be around robot mechanisms than bare legs are.