Should I replace our power distribution panel and Roborio?

The past two years I’ve made them disassemble the basic chassis and reassemble it using only the andymark instructions as an assignment. It’s hard to hold my tongue when I see them making a mistake like the belts going in the wrong direction–but like you said knowing the ins and outs of the kit drive is important. Especially how annoying and time consuming it is to take it apart and put it back together because somebody didn’t read the instructions properly.

Sounds like us this year as well with our newer students :slight_smile: It’s a great exercise in planning and reading the directions before jumping in.

1 Like

After reading your comment, and thinking about it more having a separate prototyping robot sounds just fantastic. Turns out I have enough in my budget so I went ahead and put in a PO for a new PDP, roboRIO and VRM. Andymark is having a spring sale so we’ll get a little bit of a discount. Thanks!

2 Likes

Is that a stock pot??

1 Like

Aww, I was looking forward to it becoming a robotic crawfish pot.

2 Likes

It makes me think of Texas Toast’s totebot. I couln’t find any photos but found this match video. If I recall correctly, it actually worked pretty well.

No haha! Of my team member’s dad works at a welding shop that sponsors us and he found that cylindrical part in a scrap pile and he welded the endcap on. We had our school’s welding department make and attach the feet.

1 Like

It’s crawfish season!!! Woohoo!!!

1 Like

Yes. The team I am mentoring this year went from building only one robot to building a practice bot and a competition bot. We also had a programming platform with only a Roborio, PDP, VRM, PCM and one Talon SRX mounted on a piece of plywood the size of a clipboard. It was powered with a 12V laptop charger. This allowed mechanical development work, program development and driver practice to proceed in parallel instead of occurring serially in time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.