Show me yo' wood bellypans

After using Lexan for years, we’re thinking about doing an inverted bellypan using 1/4" birch. But how do we keep it from looking…um… woody?

giphy

1 Like

Looks good to me

13 Likes

Looks great when it’ll be driving by the end of tomorrow!

6 Likes

Sometimes making wood look less wood like doesn’t pay off in the long run. Anytime we’ve tried covering up wood with paint you get small chips and flakes on the edges and looks worse even with touchup.

Rattlecan spray paint is just fine for a quick one-night job if really don’t like the look of wood.

5 Likes

4 Likes

We only have a couple, the best looking one was 2009, when we painted the wood robot and people asked us if it was powder coated aluminum :slight_smile:

but 4183 has made some neat looking wood undersides, that look woody, and it’s good wood

9 Likes

I see the supply chain issues are affecting pixels now too

4 Likes

Does it really matter? Wood bot good bot!

4 Likes

You could give it a nice stain and lean even more into the wood aesthetic.

If cars have wood paneling why can’t robots?

8 Likes

1 Like

Laminate a layer of carbon fiber on both sides. We have been doing this for years. Greatly stiffens 6mm Baltic Birch.

Wait, I’ve got a better angle

11 Likes

Wood paneling used to indicate state-of-the-art technology! It was 40 years ago, but the aesthetic still holds up!

Still the moment that took me from “this robotics thing is pretty cool” to “this is my life now”.

4 Likes

Hey I remember that robot. That’s the one my student welded back together after it fell off, possibly after this photo.

The plywood is already a “laminated composite structure”

2 Likes

My team had 2 years where we used a stop sign belly pan, but never a wood one :crazy_face:

Now you need to post the REST of them. Start with 2001, go until the BeachBots stopped using wood bellypans. (That would be somewhere around 2019, IIRC…)

The key to having a nice wooden bellypan is to start with nice plywood. Then you sand it, maybe seal it a bit, and when you’re installing make sure to put the screws in properly. 6mm baltic birch plus some sand-and-seal, and if you’re concerned about strength glue another layer on top, should come out nicely.

Second the spray paint option, turned out great on a dark belly pan in 2020. Never got to see how it held up in competition sadly :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Why stop with just a belly pan?

6 Likes