Show us your battery management system!

Hello All,

I have been toying around with an idea for a new battery management system for my team. Something that allows us to monitor the charging process, keep track of when batteries were used and purchased, and most importantly log all this data for analytics.

I want to see what the FRC community is doing in terms of battery management. Any information you can offer is greatly appreciated, even if not related to the actual Electronics or software.

Thanks!

But seriously, use a sharpie on the battery to record the date the battery was received, the last date of testing and the results, and it’s current status (practice only, competition, whatever). That’ll get you 99% of good battery management with little effort.

Anything more than that, name the batteries and record their data in google sheets.

8 Likes

I’m still working on trying to get someone to care enough about it, to create a system. I’ve been failing at that for over a decade.

We tweaked on our process this year. Some things we do:

1. Batteries get a check before the season for tight cables and such. Once charged, we’ll use a Battery Beak to read internal resistance and state of charge; if we don’t like the numbers, it gets demoted to Pit Only. (We take a couple of these to competitions as well, since the scouting team has an inverter to keep their laptop charged.)
  2. Like James, we Sharpie details like internal resistance over time on the side of the battery. If it’s Pit Only, we put a blue tape band around it so it’s obvious.
  3. Any battery that comes off the robot gets sat on our pit table, which has a polycarbonate top. Someone pulls out a dry erase marker and writes “Charge at (20-30 minutes from now)” below it, so we don’t put a battery immediately on the charger when the internals haven’t cooled. A kitchen timer would also do the trick here.
  4. Right now, our batteries and chargers are attached to a small wooden tower about 18" square and 3-4 feet tall. We don’t transport batteries in it because it’s not robust enough for the many cable protectors of a venue, so we transport them in a tote. We are looking at designing a second pit table that doubles as our battery cart, so this is less of an issue in the future.
1 Like

This. Here is a sheet we tape onto the back of our batteries that we write this info on. Battery Tracking Sheet.pdf (60.4 KB)

1 Like

We name each battery. During each match we have someone track performance of the battery. This is then compared to the log from the driver station. From this we can track battery performance over the event making a list of the good and bad ones. In addition to this we place used batteries on “cool down” for roughly 20 mins.

If your team want to try the naming idea. Go for unique names. Jack and James are easily confused, but Artyom and Xander are not.
Best of luck to you guys

Our team labels them as follows
Team (insert number here) (Year bought)-(Number in order form first to last we bough that year)
For testing and determining which battery we take to competitions we use If you go to this link https://the-charge.com/frc-resources.html the first thing is our battery testing program. It includes the building and components of it as well (I think)

We name all of our batteries and write the name on each one. Then we record what battery was used in each match in a spreadsheet. Batteries are charged and then we put a BattHawk flag on all the charged ones while others are charging in the pit. We download the data recorded by the robot each match and analyze battery health when we get back to our shop after comp.

Battery names are always some bad electricity pun. Examples: Ampathy, It Hz so Much, Assault and Battery, etc.

1 Like