Show Us Your Home SHOP!

Since everyone is at home and most likely has time for home projects, I’d love to see photos of people’s workshops!

This can include a woodshop, metal shop, home maker space, arts and crafts spaces, sewing stations, art studios, mechanics garage, 3D printing station, photo studio, or literally anything in between! We are all makers, show us where you make your stuff :slight_smile:

Tell us about what machines you have, what you like about your shop, what you wish you had, and what you’re working on as well.

My wife and I are under contract on a house, and I’m super excited to get ideas from all of you about how to set up our very first home workshop! We own a mini harbor freight lathe, a small ryobi table saw, lots of hand tools, 3D printer (Ender 3 Pro and an XYZ davinci), sewing equipment, and a lot of other arts and crafts supplies (my wife and I both love making custom cards and made a ton of our own wedding decor). I’m hoping that we’ll be able to get a CNC router at some point in the future, along with a miter saw, small bandsaw, or small drillpress and belt sander.

Post your pics! Spread some joy :grin:

Stay home, stay healthy, stay safe!

PS I also want one of these - they seem really fun and this one is on sale! https://slickdeals.net/f/13991969-cricut-explore-air-2-machine-various-colors-cricut-access-subscription-155-80-free-shipping?src=frontpage&attrsrc=Test%3AjfyYieldOptimize%3Atest-scenario-2-jfy|Feature%3AisPersonalized%3Afalse

15 Likes

Don’t be me

Some other stuff in my shop:
Tig welder
Ceramics Kiln
Autoclave
An electric cars worth of lithium batteries.
Industrial water chiller
The smollest lathe you’ve ever seen

Send help

10 Likes

I’m pumped because I just got my “robotics room” organized and filled with equipment. Got my new standup desk for $50 from a work auction… it’s been great having an entire room dedicated to robotics projects.

I’ve also been using it while working from home and I’m convinced my home setup is nicer than my work setup!

I’m also really happy with how well my drones have been working for the Stay-at-Home Camps I’ve been running. I’ve heard a ton of positive feedback from people who have used them so far!

3 Likes

Just put in new electrical outlets in my garage 2 weeks ago. Now that the weather is getting better in Wisconsin will clean it out and post some pics of my new purchases.

2 Likes

Sure, I’ll play. This is my shop. About 1320 sq ft (outside dimensions). I’m tinkering with my Barracuda right now.

Some of my equipment. Round Tower older Taiwan copy of a Bridgeport mill, with Bridgeport optical scale “dro”. Miller Synchrowave 180 TIG welder. 20 ton press. 1950s Sears band saw.

Bead blast cabinet, engine hoist I made in the 1980s, and a 1960ish Tek 535A scope

1946 South Bend 9" swing lathe

The mill

Small brake and shear, and the box/pan brake in the background.

The welding/grinding room. MIG welder

and the torch set, grinder, chop saw.

I was thinking a couple weeks ago about how that would come in handy for making gaskets…but then I’d have to learn how to do computer numerical control. I live in an analog world of making.

29 Likes

Will you adopt me?

7 Likes

I’m more interested in the home shop dogs.

36 Likes

Here’s mine. My home shop is a section of my parents’ new shed.

I have almost everything I need for personal projects like my combat robots and most recently, manufacturing some PPE accessories for local frontline workers.
some highlights:
• 3 3D printers - 1x Ender 3, 2x Monoprice mini deltas, another Ender 3 en route. All outfitted with a raspberry pi each to host an octoprint server
• Harbor Freight 7x10 mini lathe that I need to order a new toolpost for.
• Hakko FX-888D soldering iron
• Harbor freight pancake air compressor bought on sale
• Powder coating tools and oven
• Test arena for 3lb and smaller combat robots

Once things get a little more stable, I’d like to add a CNC router to the setup at some point so I can do all of my personal project manufacturing in-house.

5 Likes

Where’s the dog?

3 Likes

they don’t like to follow me into the shop yet because it’s scary and new but they’re coming around.

35 Likes

Now for a true home shop equipped with:
Stove
Dishwasher
Fridge
Drill press
Sink
Cute snake

2 Likes

AvE has a healing bench, I have a whole healing garage. How much healing can you do in a 1-car garage? Let’s take a look…

Like many of my neighbors here in Newport News VA (a city on average about 12 FT above mean sea level), my property is slab-on-grade, so I don’t have a basement to hide my treasures in.

I designed the benches and shelving so that I could theoretically fit my previous vehicle into the 14 FT wide bay… but I never actually attempted it. And then once I acquired my bridgeport, the poor car’s fate was sealed; it would live the rest of its life outdoors.

The milling machine shares power with the clothes dryer. It was used by its previous owner to tune up racing boat engines. Here in my garage, under my control, it’s a machine that brings bad ideas to life.

This space started as a woodworking shop, and in recent years has become more of a mix-media environment. This workbench, with a built-in fence and an adjustable stop system, is designed around a dewalt miter saw.

Every fluorescent tube in the shop is 3500 K, which is the only reasonable choice of color temperature for a workshop. Yes hello, I am an adult man with serious opinions about lighting color temperatures.

This bench at the back of the garage is quite shallow and holds a 7x lathe (with ALL the mods!!), cheapo drill press, small arbor press, and vise. The bench also helps reinforce the wall, which was probably gently kissed by the front bumper of a motor vehicle at one time in the history of the home.

14 Likes

By the numbers: 3 bays, 2 carports, 1 workshop, ~2100ft^2

This is a work in progress, it’s normally not this much of a mess. Normally it’s worse! I bought my property as a fixer-upper, and the garage is no exception. When I moved in I literally had to vaccum the walls because there was so much dust and junk on them. Last summer I also had to do demolition on the two old out buildings that were safety hazards. But it is really starting to come together and I hope to have it largely wrapped up by the end of the summer.

Upstairs is mostly a woodshop. Almost all of the tools are on wheels so I can reconfigure the layout to make the most use of the space I have. I just finished insulating this with foam board just before build season hit. It needs some rewiring, which will be run in a knee wall I’m planning to frame in. Then lots of sheet rock.

*4x4 cnc router
*Sanders/grinders
*Pan and box break
*Bandsaw
*Table saw
*Mire Saw
*Dust collector (if you didn’t know, you can reconfigure these to pump rodent-ruined insulation directly into a dumpster)
*12ton air over hydraulic press and press brake
*2x drill presses
*Piles of hand tools and material stock

This is the addition on the second floor. I left the old slider door (which went to nothing) so that this can be the loud room in the future. I’ll shut the compressor, CNC router, and dust collector in here to quiet them down.

1st floor bay #1 is sometimes car storage and sometimes a flexible project area. Right now it’s configured to work on ‘Project Semmelweis’ which is a robot that I am taking point on designed to help our local hospital conserve PPE (more on that at a later time). The welders here are mobile to get to different areas of the shop depending on the project.

*Round column mill
*TIG and MIG welders
*Engine hoist and stands
*Jacks and jack stands
*Cold-cut mitre saw
*Bench grinders
*Soldering/electronics area
*Flammables cabinet
*More stock holding
*Specialty car tools, oil, misc parts

1st Floor bay #2

This is where serious bidness happens. Nearly everything here is fixed for obvious reasons. This is where most car work happens (for now) and the serious milling happens.

*PCNC 1100
*2-post lift
*Too many car tools
*Exhaust fan

This area is also where I just upgraded the electrical panel to support an EV charging station and because the old one was an unmitigated disaster. I’m planning on adding solar cells to the roof in 8-10 years, so the new panel is 200A.

New EV charging station and some of the flood lights in the carport.

Nightime view of the ‘front’ with the carport lit up and our cars (and my daughters’ cars, can’t start them too early).

Daytime view of the south side when I was finishing paint on the addition last summer. The 1st floor addition has a ~15x25 bay with an 11.5ft ceiling, and once the inside is wired and sheet rocked this will be my new car work area. (I know, I know, no one could match ‘17 year old shingle color’ so my builder did his best.) Right now the high bay has my big 'ole Quincy compressor in it.

The shop is one of the main reasons I bought the property that I did. While it has needed a lot of work it has been a labor of love.

I took this picture just after moving in. I was super broke after putting basically everything I had into the down payment for the house. I didn’t have internet or TV at my house yet and I was stressed out wondering if I had made the right decision to buy it. The night I took this picture there was a huge thunderstorm and I cracked open a beer, opened the garage door a little to get that wonderful NH thunderstorm smell, and spun wrenches on Legos for 3 or 4 hours. Pure bliss.

12 Likes

Will you also adopt me? That is a wild workshop. Is your shop where the majority of 95’s parts are manufactured?

4 Likes

Haha, sure thing! My shop has an open door policy, friends and acquaintances come by to use it (mostly for cars) which I really enjoy.

I used to make some things for 95 there, mostly routing wood. One time when we knew the school would be closed for days due to snow we did bring a robot there for work, but mostly just to have access to it. The last couple years I haven’t done anything for the team from my home shop. One of the first things I did when I returned as a full-time coach was to move the team to a vocation center where there are gobs of tools and equipment. We do everything there, and get parts from our sheet metal sponsor.

That’s a problem! We moved out to where we are in 1993, and built the shop shortly after. Then in 2005, we built a garage to park cars in.

But for those students watching this thread, I’d like to post some pictures of how we did things when I was in high school. We lived west of Tucson, on 4 acres, and built a small tack shed, which turned into a workshop–which eventually had two sides, one for electronics, the other for mechanical stuff (which I don’t seem to have any interior shots of). I worked on cars out in the dirt, although I had a sort of clean area to work on engines–although getting them in and out was a problem, as I had no portable hoist, and the doorway was pretty small! Anyways, enjoy…(my brothers show up in a few of these)

old8

12 Likes

My home shop currently has my car in it. When I want to do anything too big or messy for the house, I roll the car out of the garage into the driveway, set the parking brake, and set up an old* B&D workmate 225 for smaller jobs or a couple of sawhorses, 2x4s, and a sheet of hurricane plywood for larger jobs.

My bench/table tools are a Ryobi 10" table saw on a permanent (but portable) table that I now only use for wood (****), a Ryobi tabletop drill press (****) , Rage4 Evolution 7-1/4" cold saw (***** -get one if you don’t have this or something better!), Rockwell Bladerunner X2 tabletop saw (**), and a Harbor Freight belt/disc sander (**** belt, * disc). Handheld power tools include a Ridgid 7-1/4" circular saw for wood (****), Ridgid cordless drill (****), Milwaukee 18V drill and hammer drill (*****), Harbor Freight portable band saw (***). Of course, I also have a fair variety of hand tools. The Ryobi tools are about 10 years old, the Ridgid about five years old, and the other power tools less than 2 years old. Honesty, the Bladerunner is the only one which didn’t at least meet my expectations†, and it still fills several gaps none of my other tools can.

It’s nothing too fancy, but I’ve built several AM14U robots with it as examples for local workshops, and I’m now about halfway through building a micro-tractor for a former co-worker (she retired) to auger fertilizer holes for her “forest” and perhaps some other landscaping tasks.

* I bought the Workmate to build some shelves when I moved from Avondale to Metairie in 1988 IIRC, and certainly had it by the end of 1992. The wooden vise jaws are black with a white grid.
† I didn’t expect to use the disc sander on the HF belt sander. If I had, I would have been disappointed there too, because the sanding disc had fallen off the second time I went to use the belt sander.

1 Like

Before you move in, get the floor in your garage coated with epoxy. It makes it really easy to keep clean. Oil drips just wipe off and it doesn’t hold dust like unfinished concrete.

You may also want to install more electrical outlets, using any uncommitted slots in your electrical panel.

If you can afford to, get a painter to do the job. The fumes were pretty bad and took almost a week to dissipate. A friend did it for my current house. He said you have to clean the concrete with muriatic acid to ensure the epoxy sticks properly, even for new concrete.

Marcus, Nate, Jim and James, you are giving me a serious case of shop-envy.

2 Likes

thanks!

btw I did the acid clean/epoxy paint thing on the floor in my shop when it was new. The paint is fine where I never do anything, but mostly gone in the main work area. It requires maintenance. Since I use my shop for work, not display, the lousy paint job on the floor doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

This stuff will ruin your day if you’re not extremely careful. When I was doing battery research in a former life we used muriatic acid for some quick and dirty testing (it’s hydrochlorirc acid) and what I picked up at the hardware store registered at a lower PH than literal battery acid.

If I were starting fresh I would look at the cost of concrete polishing. It can run about the same cost as epoxy finishing, but will likely be more durable.