uhh this was assembled at 2 AM on our 2016 robot between our last regional and champs and gave us a shot between the batter and far defenses. Used hex wrenches as piviot points, and gaff tape as retaining rings. Worked incredibly well and allowed us to shoot from any legal place on the 2016 field.
This year, we briefly explored whether it was possible to chip-shot balls into the high goal using pneumatics to eliminate the variation that worn balls get. We prototyped using cylinders we had lying around the shop, some wood and lexan scraps, and a chopped-up Diet Coke bottle to cradle the ball.
My team did the same exact thing for this last year and we actually made it work to my surprise. The idea came from our build captain seeing it a couple years ago which is actually what made him join the robotics team (To my recollection of his story).
We spent about 75% of our resources in the 2019 build season trying to develop a method of forklifting an alliance partner onto the HAB and then using them as a counterweight to lift ourselves up. We finally gave up after bag day and pivoted to a suction plate system which worked incredibly well for us.
Link to a post from our 2019 Reveal Thread that contains a video:
It was definitely a lot of fun to try and package and I’m positive we could have accomplished it if we placed that higher on our priority list, but I’m pretty proud of how far we got considering that “forklift another robot” was almost dead last on our priority list, meaning we felt we had accomplished everything else on the list prior to trying it. I think that robot is still my favorite robot we’ve built, although our benched 2020 robot is pretty close.