Simple Database (Ideally with GSuite integraiton)

I have an idea for a simple database for my team that would only need basic r/w operations (think editable form for each record, nothing much more). In the past, when I have needed something for personal reasons, I would stick it into an Access Database, Sharepoint list, or PowerApps CDS. However, my team and our school exists completely in a GSuite/Google world. I am looking for a database back-end/system that will allow for super fast creation of a simple database.

I have done stuff with Firebase in the past, and know a fair number of back-end languages, but I would like something that could be deployed ideally in a number of days with minimal time required (this app isn’t worth a large amount of time). Do you have solutions? I am looking for something that has:

• Very short development time
  • Very little cost of operation (ideally <= $5 month)
  • Doesn’t require the deployment of Office/365 within the team.
  • Has the ability to have text entry and drop downs

If it would help, I am working on a prototype in Access and can publish the file once it is in a state that can communicate the idea. I can do the app in Firebase/HTML-CSS-JS/NodeJS if that is the fastest solution. Thank you so much for your help.

You could make a janky db with the Google Sheets API, to be honest. It’s doable. Deployment via Heroku (and using a full stack framework like Django or Rails) is an alternative that you could likely figure out with your amount of experience, but it can get pricey rather quick.

It’s a little janky, but for what you’re describing, my recommendation would be to build a front-end form to submit to / read from Google Sheets, and host that front-end somewhere (GitHub pages, maybe?).

Ok. Thank you so much for your help. I will look into it

For straight data entry, Google Forms tied into a google sheet. You can then get creative in the sheet as much as you want. It’s really easy, for example, to do scouting this way. A bunch of data input into one tab, and then a bunch of formulas to massage that data into a more usable form in a separate tab. Set everything up ahead of time and just use at competition (assuming you have internet access).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.