Size Is Large

Posted by Bill Beatty.

Other on team #71, Team Hammond, from Team Hammond.

Posted on 1/24/2000 8:23 AM MST

We just built our first boilerplate frame. There is room for two men and a boy in there! Joe, I don’t know if it matters.

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 1/24/2000 9:32 AM MST

In Reply to: Size Is Large posted by Bill Beatty on 1/24/2000 8:23 AM MST:

Woodie, Dean & the gang at FIRST have really given us enough rope to hang ourselves this year.

They’ve allowed us to be taller at the start, yet have given us a great advantage if we can get short.

Very devious.

Joe J.

Posted by Samuel Lindhorst.

Engineer on team #240, Mach Vee, from Jefferson High School and Visteon.

Posted on 1/24/2000 10:33 AM MST

In Reply to: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by Joe Johnson on 1/24/2000 9:32 AM MST:

: Woodie, Dean & the gang at FIRST have really given us enough rope to hang ourselves this year.

: They’ve allowed us to be taller at the start, yet have given us a great advantage if we can get short.

: Very devious.

: Joe J.

Yea, also enough volume the frame itself is pretty weighty, if you use all of it and make it strong enough to withstand the beating around the bar. This year I think is more of an engineering task than last year, and this year the trade offs are much more balanced. We didn’t even bother to weigh ours last year until a week before shipment, and it was 10 lbs. under.

Posted by michael ciavaglia.

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Interior Systems.

Posted on 1/25/2000 4:25 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by Samuel Lindhorst on 1/24/2000 10:33 AM MST:

Please let me in on the secret! How do you go through 6 weeks of design…Never weigh yourself…And come in 10 pounds under weight!!! We have been fighting weight since the beginning of the competition. We ALWAYS have to go on a diet about 24 to 48 hours before shipping!!

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Ypsilanti HS/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 1/25/2000 9:04 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by michael ciavaglia on 1/25/2000 4:25 AM MST:

:We ALWAYS have to go on a diet about 24 to 48 hours before shipping!!

Diet? As in attacking the machine with a drill and making it look like swiss cheese? =)

Posted by Adam Anderson.

Student on team #236, Lyme Old Lyme High School, from Lyme Old Lyme High School and Northeast Utilities.

Posted on 1/25/2000 11:27 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by Nate Smith on 1/25/2000 9:04 AM MST:

: :We ALWAYS have to go on a diet about 24 to 48 hours before shipping!!

: Diet? As in attacking the machine with a drill and making it look like swiss cheese? =)

Ohh you saw our robot last year…? i belive we were the only team that drilled their caster wheels for a weight advanatge… and still weighted in at exactly 130 pounds after removing a few decals…
-Loki-

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 1/25/2000 1:45 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by Adam Anderson on 1/25/2000 11:27 AM MST:

We had to punch holes in some very strategic places, just so we didn’t look like we had built a machine that was obese by FIRST standards. :slight_smile: I’d like to know the secret of building, designing, never weighing in…and STILL coming in underweight! Wow, 10lbs is a lot to be under by!

Good Luck,
Lora Knepper

Posted by Andy Grady.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #42, P.A.R.T.S, from Alvirne High School and Daniel Webster College.

Posted on 1/25/2000 12:46 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by Nate Smith on 1/25/2000 9:04 AM MST:

Diet? As in attacking the machine with a drill and making it look like swiss cheese? =)

I prefer to call them speed holes :slight_smile:
Andy Grady, DWC/Alvirne

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Ypsilanti HS/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 1/27/2000 11:18 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by Andy Grady on 1/25/2000 12:46 PM MST:

: I prefer to call them speed holes :slight_smile:
: Andy Grady, DWC/Alvirne

well, just don’t put any of those ‘speed holes’ in the air tank or motors…

Nate

Posted by Daniel.

Coach on team #483, BORG, from Berkeley High School and NASA Ames & UC Berkeley.

Posted on 1/27/2000 12:26 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by Nate Smith on 1/27/2000 11:18 AM MST:

Why not??? Those and the battery are the most in need of it by far.

Posted by Russell Pauley.

Coach on team #344 from Phoebus High School.

Posted on 1/28/2000 3:22 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by Daniel on 1/27/2000 12:26 PM MST:

: Why not??? Those and the battery are the most in need of it by far.

Don’t put anything to far out of mind. In 97 my team had a 30 pound lead wight on the robot.

Posted by Raul.

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

Posted on 1/29/2000 5:52 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by Russell Pauley on 1/28/2000 3:22 PM MST:

: Don’t put anything to far out of mind. In 97 my team had a 30 pound lead wight on the robot.

Did you get 30 lbs of lead from small parts or did I miss something on the additional parts list? :slight_smile:

Raul

Posted by Russell Pauley.

Coach on team #344 from Phoebus High School.

Posted on 1/29/2000 10:14 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by Raul on 1/29/2000 5:52 PM MST:

: : Don’t put anything to far out of mind. In 97 my team had a 30 pound lead wight on the robot.

: Did you get 30 lbs of lead from small parts or did I miss something on the additional parts list? :slight_smile:

: Raul

yes it was in small parts.

Russell

Posted by Raul.

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

Posted on 1/25/2000 3:10 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by michael ciavaglia on 1/25/2000 4:25 AM MST:

In past years, we always had a problem with weight.
In 1999 we finally got smart and decided to plan for weight reduction in every single part.

Rule #1:
Every single part that can be legally modified can be made lighter. Most off the shelf parts are over-designed for our applications (ie.we webbed out all the gears that we bought).

Rule #2:
Know thy densities:
Steel = 0.3 lbs/cu-in
Aluminum = 0.1 lbs/cu-in
Lexan = 0.045 lbs/cu-in
PVC = 0.05 lbs/cu-in
Aluminum can replace steel in 90% of your applications.
Lexan is heavier than you think - don’t make it too thick. 1/4’ Lexan is much heavier than .060’ Aluminum.

Rule #3:
A robot looks cooler when it has a structural look that you get by putting symmetric hole patterns in your large sheet parts.

Raul

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 1/26/2000 4:37 PM MST

In Reply to: Easy - put robot on diet from the start posted by Raul on 1/25/2000 3:10 PM MST:

: Rule #3:
: A robot looks cooler when it has a structural look that you get by putting symmetric hole patterns in your large sheet parts.

We found this one out by necesssity! :slight_smile:

Lora Knepper

Posted by Bill Beatty.

Other on team #71, Team Hammond, from Team Hammond.

Posted on 1/28/2000 7:51 AM MST

In Reply to: enough rope to hang ourselves… posted by Joe Johnson on 1/24/2000 9:32 AM MST:

But I am not sure using rope is the best way to get the 10 points.

Bill B