Size of the field: too big? too small?

Posted by Ken.

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

Posted on 4/10/2000 3:52 PM MST

Anyone in here feel that the Newton, Watt, and the curie field could have been larger for more enjoyable experience of watching the games? Or just simply have space for the noice to echo around?
For me, those fields are kind of small to fit the FIRST people, and certain teams dominated different areas in the stands, plus a lot of them were holding sticks hitting on the stands (I guess what I am trying to say is that the experience is not that good). Sometimes, my team didn’t even get to see our robot in action simply because there were no space on the stands.
Any thought?

Ken L., GRT team 192

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 4/10/2000 4:00 PM MST

In Reply to: Size of the field: too big? too small? posted by Ken on 4/10/2000 3:52 PM MST:

: Anyone in here feel that the Newton, Watt, and the curie field could have been larger for more enjoyable experience of watching the games? Or just simply have space for the noice to echo around?

What if they had a ‘competing teams only’ viewing section like they did up near the stage at Einstein?

Nate

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 4/10/2000 4:28 PM MST

In Reply to: Size of the field: too big? too small? posted by Ken on 4/10/2000 3:52 PM MST:

I agree with you there Ken, my team had the same problems on the indoor fields…the only ones we ever got to play on. Though as for Nate’s solution to that…I don’t know. I know I have many other teams that I have become friendly with. When I’m not on stage driving our bot, I like to be out screaming for my friends. I’ve found that having sections blocked off only prevents me from joining another team to cheer. And that is something I don’t think FIRST intended. So, now that I’ve said that, I’m at a loss for a solution. Anyone else have any ideas? We need to have room for teams to watch without blocking those from other teams wanting to join in on the fun!

Lora

Posted by Andy Grady.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #42, P.A.R.T.S, from Alvirne High School and Daniel Webster College.

Posted on 4/10/2000 4:41 PM MST

Though the indoor fields were a little cramped I was very pleased at how First did with them. First of all I am a huge advocate of Stadium type seating in order to better view the matches. In fact First accomplished this, and i was very happy that for the first time i could watch matches at the nationals and actually see whats goin on. Sure it had its problems, not enough seating and so forth, but still it is a heck of alot better than what we had in previous years. (not to mention the wonderful air conditioning in the tent)
Congrats to First and Disney on a job well done in my opinion.
Andy Grady, DWC/Alvirne HS

Posted by Austin Martus.

Other on team #47 from son of pchs coach.

Posted on 4/10/2000 6:09 PM MST

In Reply to: step in the right direction posted by Andy Grady on 4/10/2000 4:41 PM MST:

all they really have to do in my opinion isirst has to do is ge a wider tent and put the same amount of seating on the opposite side of the court and i think that would accomidate for the people what want to see a match

austin martus

Posted by Ken.

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

Posted on 4/10/2000 4:56 PM MST

I agree that the air conditioning is great, and in fact, I LOVE it!!!

A point I want to make is that the stands should be bigger because other teams can watch each other’s robot in action. I am sure that this will help a lot for the the finalists to pick an ideal alliance. All I know is that if there are 200 something teams to choose for my partner, and I barely saw any of those team in action, I will either pick a team with a pit near our’s, or a friendly team that I know from the past years or the regionals.

For the current situation, me acting as a normal bystander, find it hard to get near the stands and watch the games, and that the noise gave me a big headach.

One more thing: It would have been nice if the big screens, one at each field and the four huge ones at the pit, if they would show the time during a match.