SketchUp Wiz Learning SolidWorks

Hey all, I’ve been aware for the longest time that the CAD community has some strong words to give about SketchUp. It was my introductory 3D design program (my freshman year), but I think I’m at the crossroads where I’m being held back by the program I’m using, and need to move on.

The parts I like most of SketchUp are the hotkey binds (O-orbit, O+Shift-pan, L-line, R-rectangle, B-color tool, ctrl+H-hidden geometry, etc.) and the ground-up design point. Other than that, SketchUp Warehouse (aka. “CAD Library”) is limited and lame, and decent models have 40+MB file sizes, which makes SU run like a dog, even on my overclocked 5820k, 32GB of DDR4, and 780 Ti Classy.

That said, I received a full student edition of SolidWorks 2015 from my team, and I reeaaaally want to know it to the point where I can make a fresh assembly of a WCD. Most “tutorials” I come across point out the basics of making a cube and circles, which of course I already know how to do.

So…

As someone who already understands the basics of creation tools and navigation, what less-than-obvious hints should I know of for SolidWorks?

Thank you in advance.

I would highly reccomend 973’s RAMP series. It shows how to do many of the basics of FRC specific Solidworks. You mentioned wanting to make a WCD, and there are two videos that show how to do that. Hope this helps you as much as it helped me!

Thanks 973 for providing this resource!

Wow, I feel incredibly stupid :frowning: Thank you very much for your help.