Slack Problems

Hello,
My team is looking into switching to Slack for team communication. However, there is an age limit that doesn’t allow anyone under 16 to use Slack. Since I know many other FRC teams use slack, how have you guys gone around this rule?

Don’t quote me on this, but I think that if you are using Slack for educational purposes then you only have to be 13 or older.

Edit: found it, now you can quote me: https://slack.com/terms-of-service/supplement#education

3 Likes

Slack never asks for the user’s age so it’s kind of hard to enforce. We use it for our club without such an issue.

Yes, but if the email they use to register proves they may be under 16, there could be a problem.

When you make an email, it asks for your birth date.

From the Slack website:

IV. Education Professional Customers

If Customer is a school or educator in the United States and wants its students, who are over the age of 13, to use the Services, Customer is responsible for complying with the U.S. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ( “FERPA” ). This means Customer must notify those students’ parents/guardians of the personally identifiable information that it will collect and share with us and obtain parental/guardian consent before its students sign up or use the Services.

So it allows you to use it if you’re over 13 provided a parent signs a form. Is this correct or am I misinterpreting the text?

It does say that parental consent must be collected and shared