Slingshot, a short video about Dean's water project

You may remember that Dean Kamen was on the Colbert Report way back in 2008 talking about his water purifier, the Slingshot.

Today, I stumbled on a video by Paul Lazarus that is entered in the Focus Forward Film: Short Films Big Ideas competition. It’s a bunch of short documentaries about the world’s innovators that are competing for slots at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival and a $100,000 grand prize.

Lazarus’ film focuses on Dean working with Coca-Cola to start moving his invention into Ghana. Here is the video. Pretty cool stuff!

I was just about to come here to post on this.

Please VOTE for Paul’s video on Slingshot by clicking the ‘vote’ button on the right side of the video player! It will hopefully get a lot of attention to the Slingshot project! :slight_smile:

Official Info:
SlingShot is a 3-minute documentary about FIRST’s Founder, Dean Kamen, his amazing SlingShot technology, and his work to alleviate the world’s safe water crisis. Produced by longtime FIRST volunteer (Executive Advisory Board and Game Design Committee member), Paul Lazarus.

SlingShot is a finalist in the Focus Forward filmmaker competition, and it could definitely use Chief Delphi’s help in winning! Please take just a second to click ‘vote’ on the right-hand side of the video player, and help bring some attention to this amazing project.

Thank you for your support!

Voted: Great Video, Great Invention, Great Man.

Just to add to Libby’s post. This was in an email from Paul Lazarus.

*Today, a short documentary entitled SlingShot went public as a semi-finalist in the Focus Forward Film Competition. It’s a 3-minute movie I produced about Dean Kamen and his work to alleviate the world’s safe water crisis. We’re very proud of this short intro to Dean’s incredible technology. People are able to see it on-line now and can vote for the video as an “audience favorite.” There were over a 1000 entries from six continents. We are hoping to be selected as one of the five finalists which get screened at Sundance this coming January.

Please WATCH, VOTE and SHARE!

Here’s a link to the video that you can vote on:

It would be incredible if we could get this video going viral throughout the entire FIRST community. I’m hoping every student, parent and mentor can share this video, vote and help us win the audience award. This would help us achieve our dream of spreading the word about Dean’s life-saving technology.

Best - p*

Paul is a fantastic supporter of FIRST who I have been honored to work with in the past. This project has been in the works for over two years and I am so excited to see part of the final product.

Please take the time out of your day to watch and vote for this project, Paul does a lot of work to get the word of FIRST out there, the least you can do is vote for one of the phenomenal projects that he has been working on. Spread the word!

This thread should really be placed in the general forum. It’s not visible on the Portal as a guest-- if it were moved a lot more people would see it. :]

I agree - put this in the General Forum. I found out through an email from another mentor, and only found it when I searched before I posted.