Small Ball delivery to far side goal.

Posted by Gene Falendysz at 04/02/2001 12:32 PM EST

Other on team #343, Metal In Motion, from Hamilton Career Center and Schlumberger among others.

Are there any robots out there that can receive small balls from the players and deliver them to the far side and place them in the goal? If so, how long does it take and how many balls can be delivered?

Posted by Andy Baker at 04/02/2001 1:02 PM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Small Ball delivery to far side goal.
Posted by Gene Falendysz on 04/02/2001 12:32 PM EST:

I know that 217 can do this. I think that they can do it pretty quickly (under 30 seconds, maybe).

Also, teams 108 and 73 have small ball mechanisms. 108 has a small ball chute… but their big ball capabilities are soo good that they don’t mess with the smalls. 73 picks up the balls and shoots them into the goals, from what I hear.

Andy B.

Posted by Mike Soukup at 04/02/2001 1:56 PM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling and Motorola.

In Reply to: 217, 108, 73
Posted by Andy Baker on 04/02/2001 1:02 PM EST:

: 73 picks up the balls and shoots them into the goals, from what I hear.

I hear the same thing too. Actually, it’s all I hear from Matt :wink: I’m still waiting for him to chime in and let us know about team 73. I want to see it in action.

Posted by C. Merritt at 04/02/2001 4:42 PM EST

Coach on team #211, MAK, from John Marshall HS and Kodak.

In Reply to: Re: 217, 108, 73
Posted by Mike Soukup on 04/02/2001 1:56 PM EST:

I am not on team 73, but we did partner with them in New Jersey. Their robot goes to the other end of the field, attaches itself to the goal, scoops up the small balls (similar to the ball pick up many teams used last year) and the shoots the ball up into the goal. It is a great idea if you want to utilize the small balls at the other end of the field and fill the far goal. The only problem is when the balls get knocked around, they somtimes go under the bridge. DOes that clear anything up?

Posted by Matt Leese at 04/02/2001 5:37 PM EST

Other on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Fiber Technologies & RIT.

In Reply to: team 73 and the small balls
Posted by C. Merritt on 04/02/2001 4:42 PM EST:

Only one thing I need to add to that: We don’t need to attach to the goal to shoot. Initially we planned for that but found it takes to long. We can however put a few small balls in the goal in about the same amount of time it takes to load a large ball. Pictures of the robot are on our website.

Matt

Posted by Ellery at 04/02/2001 2:35 PM EST

Engineer on team #191, X-CATS, from Joseph C. Wilson High School, Rochester NY and Xerox Corporation.

In Reply to: 217, 108, 73
Posted by Andy Baker on 04/02/2001 1:02 PM EST:

Well 191 can pickup small balls if needed but we don’t usually plan on it- it’s a freebie for being able to pick big balls.

As for Team 73 - yes they do it relatively well - more like a baseball pitching machine ~80% accurate but Matt will have to fill you in on the actual specs.

Ellery

: 73 picks up the balls and shoots them into the goals, from what I hear.

Posted by Paul Copioli at 04/02/2001 3:48 PM EST

Engineer on team #217, Team Macomb - Royal Fusion, from Utica Schools, Fraser Schools, Warren Cons. School and Ford Motor Company.

: Are there any robots out there that can receive small balls from the players and deliver them to the far side and place them in the goal? If so, how long does it take and how many balls can be delivered?

Andy is about right when he said around 30 seconds. Whe had the small ball grabber on at Western Michigan, but our strategy was a little weak (tried to pick up from the ground…too much time). We tweaked it between WM and Midwest Regional, but never used it at Midwest. We are modular, and when we take our small ball grabber off we can limbo. Since there were only 5 other limbobots at Midwest Regional, we decided to scrap the small ball. But to answer your question more directly, our strategy with the small ball conveyer (it is a conveyer belt that extends and the Human Player places balls in ala 2000) is to take 5 small balls dart across the bridge and dump into far goal. It takes about 30 seconds to complete (15 seconds to receive and 15 seconds to dart and dump). We have both modules ready and can switch in 1 minute.

In qualifications we would use the small ball module if there are 2 other limbobots and the alliance thought the extra small balls are worth it.

Posted by Matt Leese at 04/02/2001 7:57 PM EST

Other on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Fiber Technologies & RIT.

Given the question was asked, I guess I’ll turn this into an advertisement for my team. :wink: Anyway, we figured that no one has been scoring a single point in the far goal in elimination matches. Furthermore, elimination matches have very close scores (witness New Jersey). Therefore, we decided that if we could put one ball in the far goal (times multipliers), that will be the difference between the champions and the finalists. Therefore we designed that could do one thing and do it well: put small balls in the far goal. We can do it rather quickly (we’re usually ready to shoot about the same time someone else is ready to put a big ball on top) and rather accurately (we’re getting close to 100%). So please consider us when you’re creating your dream alliance…

Matt

Posted by Jason Flanagan at 04/02/2001 9:45 PM EST

Student on team #250, Dynamos, from Shenendehowa HSE and General Electric, Verizon, .

yeah this one the problem last year was putting the small balls in the goal, except it was a bigger goal and a lot easier to put balls in, so there really isn’t any robot thats too efficent in putting MANY balls in the goal. I emphisize many because there are some that can put a couple in its just hard to gather them off the ground

Posted by Paul Dickman at 04/03/2001 9:52 AM EST

Coach on team #312, Heat Wave, from Lakewood High School and Baxter Healthcare of Tampa Bay.

Heat Wave 312 can pick up small balls from the floor (on the far side) and deliver them to the goal as easily as we pick up the big ball. Our claw was designed to pick up either size ball. I hope this helps?

Posted by Anne Bergeron at 04/03/2001 11:05 AM EST

Coach on team #608, Prowling Panthers, from Georgia Institute of Technology and Georgia Tech/NASA/UTC/Ford/Ike Murray.

The gripper for team 608 was designed to be able to pick up small and big balls. The arm is mostly all pneumatic so we are very quick to do this.