This was hastily written late at night so I apologize if anything is unclear.
As a small rookie team with 11 students on our roster with an average attendance of ~4.5 students starting in October we are trying to get more students but also to get the current students to attend more often. We are a non-school based team which gives us a few issues like students getting rides (we are trying to carpool when possible) and more need of company sponsorships.
We are considering trying to get more commitment by saying students need to be at 50% of the meetings during build season (remote attendance is recognized) and must attend at least 2 demonstrations or fundraisers which would be in the off-season. This is the actual language used in our team manual as it stands.
Eligibility: Students must put in a certain level of involvement to be considered an active member. In order to be considered “active”, a student must meet these requirements:
- Attend a minimum of 50% in team activities during the build season. (Kickoff to Competition)
- Follow the expected behavior outlined above.
- Be productive on the team and comply to shop and safety rules.
- Participate in two or more demonstrations, fundraising, or Super Hornets team outreach activities each offseason. These activities and hours performed must be approved by a team mentor.
- FIRST recognizes ages 14 through 18 for the FIRST Robotics Competition division. We allow slightly younger students under certain circumstances with permission.
Active status for all students will be reviewed by the end of January. Final status will be announced by February 10th… Active students will be allowed to compete as Super Hornets in the March and April FIRST Robotics Competitions.
This is partially based on hearing from larger teams that they require like 70-80% participation but I think that may be because they are a school based team and they transport the kids to the competition in buses which have limited room.
I would be very interested in your thoughts and advice, perhaps keeping, rewording, changing or completely removing this section along with other things you might put in your team manuals.