Smaller Robot Perimeter

I was just wondering how the loss of 20 inches for the perimeter is affecting designs…any thoughts?

R03
The ROBOT must satisfy the following size constraints:

[LIST=A]
[li]total length of the FRAME PERIMETER sides may not exceed 112 in. (see Figure 4-1 for examples),
[/li]> [li]PLAYING CONFIGURATION horizontal dimensions may never exceed a 54 in. diameter vertical cylinder (see G23), and
[/li]> [li]height may never exceed 84 in. tall.
[/li]> [/LIST]

Actually, no. Our team is currently considering a dedicated climb-deposit bot which is essentially a shortened version of the kitbot frame. The smaller perimeter is not really that bad, as this year’s game does not need very large robots.

My team has not run into any problems just yet. With this said however we foresee great difficulty fitting both a climbing mechanism and our shooter onto the chassis. With what is probably one of the hardest endgames in the last few years; I wish they had left the size the same at least for this year.

Does the round measuring device mean that the bumpers must be within that area or not?

Consider looking in the manual, specifically “The Robot” section.

Looked there couldn’t find anything mentioning the bumpers in relation to the cylindrical limitations.

We plan on having a smaller robot than last year. :wink:

You’re right, it is never called out specifically. However, it does say that

A ROBOT’S horizontal dimensions may never exceed a 54 in. diameter vertical cylinder.

And in the glossary, ROBOT is defined by (emphasis mine):

ROBOT: an electromechanical assembly built by an FRC Team to perform specific tasks when competing
in ULTIMATE ASCENT. It includes all of the basic systems required to be an active participant in the game: power,
communications, control, mobility, and actuation. …

So are bumpers a part of the robot required to be an active participant?

On one hand yes, as you are required to have them to compete.
On the other hand no, as bumpers are defined in the glossary as

BUMPER: a protective assembly designed to attach to the exterior of the ROBOT…

and thus something that attaches to the robot as opposed to being an actual part of the robot.

Unless I am missing something in the rules?

Clarification on this would be useful by Q&A if there isn’t anything else providing guidance.

Personally, I believe the intent is that the Bumpers are to be included for purposes of measuring the 54 in. cylinder

Until it’s clarified, that’s the “safe bet” that I recommend.

Also keep in mind R05:

For the purposes of determining compliance with the weight and volume limitations, the items listed below are not included in the weight assessment:

1. the ROBOT battery and its associated half of the Anderson cable quick connect/disconnect pair (including no more than 12 in. of cable per leg, the associated cable lugs, connecting bolts, and insulation) and
  2. BUMPERS (including BUMPER covers, if appropriate).

The 54" diameter right cylinder would be considered a volume limitation, I would imagine…

I think clarification for whether the bumpers count in the 54" determination is very important, and hopefully we will know soon. As MrForbes says, the safe bet is to assume that it does until then. (Better to have a robot that is a little smaller than it is allowed to be than one that is too large.)

In the past bumpers have not been considered part of the robot in terms of horizontal measurement R05 seems to confirm this. I think you are safe using the frame perimeter & not the bumpers for this.

Figure 2-5 (G23) shows a robot with no bumpers is the 54" cylinder. Come to think of it is FRANK even rule compliant?

I saw this question was brought up in the Robot section of the Q&A.

Isaac

Question on Q&A has been answered.

Yes, BUMPERS are considered part of the ROBOT for [G23]. This will be addressed in Team UPDATE - 2013-01-11.

We are creating a square 27 1/2" by 27 1/2" robot to maximize volume and to avoid discrepancies with judges. :slight_smile:

Boy that just goes to show you can’t predict how GDC will rule on anything. :yikes:

If you want to maximize volume, why don’t you go with a 35" diameter circular robot? A 35" diameter robot would have a circumference/perimeter of 110".

It is often prudent to leave yourself a little wiggle room when it comes to sizing. You may want to downsize to 27 3/8". :wink:

I predicted it correctly…it’s been typical over the past several years that an overall robot “volume” measurement includes the bumpers.

But then, my team is not trying to push the volume boundary, so we can afford to be pessimistic.

We put together our frame last night, and measured it at 110.5".

I’m liking this rule change more and more… you don’t have to intentionally design undersized so your bolt heads fit in the sizing box - just make it to the dimensions you want and ignore the bolt heads (per R02)!