SmartDashboard custom Widgets not appearing...

For some reason, I can’t get the custom Widgets I’m adding to show up in the View>>Add list. I’m dropping the Netbeans-compiled JAR in the folder C:\Program Files\SmartDashboard\extensions. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some way to access the SmartDashboard’s Java console to see if it was just bad coding on my part?

I have the exact same problem. I copied the source code word for word from the extension tutorial, added the JAR, and it still did not show up.

You can run a JAR in the Windows command prompt. Figure out where your Java binaries are, mine are in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\bin

Then add these to your path.

Then open cmd.exe and

cd C:\Program Files\SmartDashboard
java -jar SmartDashboard.jar

On closer inspection, this is an issue on ***their ***part… that is, whoever made the SmartDashboard:

Searching Folder:.\lib
Adding Jar:.\lib\jcommon-1.0.16.jar
Adding Jar:.\lib\jfreechart-1.0.13.jar
Adding Jar:.\lib\junit-4.8.2.jar
Adding Jar:.\lib\NetworkTable_Client.jar
Searching Folder: .\extensions\lib
Adding Jar:.\extensions\lib\javacpp.jar
Adding Jar:.\extensions\lib\javacv-windows-x86.jar
Adding Jar:.\extensions\lib\javacv.jar
Adding Jar:.\extensions\lib\WPIJavaCV.jar
Searching Folder:.\extensions
Adding Jar:.\extensions\3181SmartWidgets.jar
Adding Jar:.\extensions\WPICameraExtension.jar
Searching Jar:.\extensions\3181SmartWidgets.jar
Custom Widget:VerticalBar
Searching Jar:.\extensions\WPICameraExtension.jar
Custom Static Widget:WPICameraExtension
Custom Static Widget:WPILaptopCameraExtension

Our Jar is .\extensions\3181SmartWidgets.jar, and it’s obviously searching the Jar, and it’s obviously finding the class (which is also an effective copy-paste from the tutorial) however it’s not showing up in the menu!

Our Jar is .\extensions\3181SmartWidgets.jar, and it’s obviously searching the Jar, and it’s obviously finding the class (which is also an effective copy-paste from the tutorial) however it’s not showing up in the menu!

Ok, I don’t know if this will help but we struggled a bit with this the other day too. Here are some thoughts:

Does your custom widget inherit from “Widget” or “StaticWidget”? The only ones that show up in the menu are “StaticWidgets”. To use “Widgets”, have your robot send some data, then convert the widget that is automatically created into yours.

It took us a few trys to figure out where to put the extension JAR file but it looks like you’ve got that solved.

We were initially using NetBeans 7.1. JAR files we created with it did not work for us with the SmartDashboard. The docs say to use 6.9 but it was hard to find it on the NetBeans site.

Even though we had some hurdles to overcome, we’re extremely happy with the SmartDashboard. It is terrific.

Oooh, OK. Now I’m understanding it clearly.

Yeah, we’ve got a Widget. Now I see why.