So.. About the FIRST music..

Posted by Kate.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Posted on 6/19/2000 6:07 PM MST

Alright… Everyone refers to the old skool 13-song-playlist that FIRST played at competitions over and over… Well… I just went to go and try to think of it… And I drew a bit huge blank… Lora and I were trying to throw songs back and forth at each other… But we’ve got to be leaving something out… Here’s what we’ve remembered so far:

YMCA
Jock Jams Mix
Cotton Eye Joe
We Like To Party
Macho Man
Hot Hot Hot
I Like It Like That
Be My Lover
I Like To Move It
(C’mon Ride) The Train
Macarena
This Is Your Night
Sweet Dreams
Unbelievable

And yeah, I know that’s more than 13 already… But I feel like I’m missing something or adding songs that weren’t neccessairly on ‘The List’… So help us out why don’t you… :slight_smile:

Kate

Posted by Andy Grady.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #42, P.A.R.T.S, from Alvirne High School and Daniel Webster College.

Posted on 6/19/2000 6:24 PM MST

In Reply to: So… About the FIRST music… posted by Kate on 6/19/2000 6:07 PM MST:

missing a couple there
Twighlight Zone and No Limits by 2 Unlimited

Posted by Justin.

Other on team Blue Lightning Alum from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

Posted on 6/19/2000 7:23 PM MST

In Reply to: So… About the FIRST music… posted by Kate on 6/19/2000 6:07 PM MST:

Kate,

The mythical list to which you refer never actually existed. The list is actually Cotton Eyed Joe looped 13 times.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

-Justin

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 6/20/2000 10:21 AM MST

: Alright… Everyone refers to the old skool 13-song-playlist that FIRST played at competitions over and over…

I know this doesn’t totally redeem FIRST, but one thing that always comes to mind for me when people start bringing up the extremely short playlist is that in the majority of cases, it is an outside DJ that brings in the music, and one thing to keep in mind is that most DJs usually do only a 3-4 hour event(dance, wedding reception, etc.) and so when something as big as a FIRST event comes along, there’s only so many different songs that they have before they have to start repeating songs…I know this has little to nothing to do with the topic that this is posted under, but oh well…

Nate

Posted by Matt Leese.

Student on team #7 from Parkville High School and NASA, Black & Decker, AAI, Raytheon.

Posted on 6/20/2000 9:37 PM MST

In Reply to: In defense of the short playlist posted by Nate Smith on 6/20/2000 10:21 AM MST:

: : Alright… Everyone refers to the old skool 13-song-playlist that FIRST played at competitions over and over…

: I know this doesn’t totally redeem FIRST, but one thing that always comes to mind for me when people start bringing up the extremely short playlist is that in the majority of cases, it is an outside DJ that brings in the music, and one thing to keep in mind is that most DJs usually do only a 3-4 hour event(dance, wedding reception, etc.) and so when something as big as a FIRST event comes along, there’s only so many different songs that they have before they have to start repeating songs…I know this has little to nothing to do with the topic that this is posted under, but oh well…

: Nate
Alright, so most DJs don’t do events that are quite as long as FIRST competitions. Have you ever looked at how many CD’s a typical DJ has? It’s quite a lot. Even so, the average CD is at least 40 minutes long, so it should be quite easy to get enough CD’s to at least not repeat a song per day. It’s kind of rediciulous how much they like the repeat the songs (I swear they played ‘We like to party’ every time I was in the stands in Florida…)

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 6/21/2000 1:29 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: In defense of the short playlist posted by Matt Leese on 6/20/2000 9:37 PM MST:

: Alright, so most DJs don’t do events that are quite as long as FIRST competitions. Have you ever looked at how many CD’s a typical DJ has? It’s quite a lot. Even so, the average CD is at least 40 minutes long, so it should be quite easy to get enough CD’s to at least not repeat a song per day. It’s kind of rediciulous how much they like the repeat the songs (I swear they played ‘We like to party’ every time I was in the stands in Florida…)

While they may have a good collection of CDs, how many of the songs are suited to an event such as FIRST? With the planning that I have helped with over the past 3 years for the WMRC, I have found that the best songs for this type of an event are those that have a strong beginning to use at the start of a match. You don’t really want a song that slowly fades in at the beginning with this type of event. So, out of those CDs that they have, how many of the songs actually fall into this category?

Nate

Posted by Matt Leese.

Student on team #7 from Parkville High School and NASA, Black & Decker, AAI, Raytheon.

Posted on 6/22/2000 8:31 PM MST

In Reply to: Yes, but… posted by Nate Smith on 6/21/2000 1:29 PM MST:

: While they may have a good collection of CDs, how many of the songs are suited to an event such as FIRST? With the planning that I have helped with over the past 3 years for the WMRC, I have found that the best songs for this type of an event are those that have a strong beginning to use at the start of a match. You don’t really want a song that slowly fades in at the beginning with this type of event. So, out of those CDs that they have, how many of the songs actually fall into this category?

: Nate

Correct me if I’m wrong, but they don’t match the beginning of songs to the beginning of matches. I think they only do that for the first competition a day…

Matt

Posted by Nate Smith.

Posted on 6/23/2000 8:17 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Yes, but… posted by Matt Leese on 6/22/2000 8:31 PM MST:

: Correct me if I’m wrong, but they don’t match the beginning of songs to the beginning of matches. I think they only do that for the first competition a day…

: Matt

I know they have in past years('98-'99 come to mind.) As for this past year, I dunno…I didn’t actually get to see that many matches, esp. at Nationals…

Nate

Posted by Justin.

Other on team Blue Lightning Alum from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

Posted on 6/21/2000 4:04 PM MST

Hi folks,

I was just wondering any anyone had any more suggestions on ‘the 13’ songs. I along with Skrach(sp- sorry Andy) will be DJing Rumble so I was intested in hearing what ppl have to say in general about the music @ FIRST comps? I know myself and Lora consider it a genre all it’s own. Thoughts anyone?

-Justin

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #246, a FIRST-aholic, from John D. O’Byrant High School/Boston Latin Academy and NSTAR/Boston University/UTC/Raytheon/MassPEP.

Posted on 6/21/2000 8:24 PM MST

In Reply to: The topic at hand posted by Justin on 6/21/2000 4:04 PM MST:

let’s see… i forgot what’s on their list already… but you gotta play-

American Pie
Joy to the World (Three Dog Night)
Sweet Home Alabama!
Absolutely (Story of a Girl)
Sugar, Sugar (for kato)
Livin’ on the Edge (Aerosmith)
I Got a Man (ha, just cause it’s old school)

so they may not be of the ‘FIRST nature’ but they are good tunes… so let’s crank it up and have some fun!!

-beanie

Posted by Amy .

Student on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High and NYPRO.

Posted on 6/22/2000 11:01 AM MST

In Reply to: i wanna hear… posted by colleen on 6/21/2000 8:24 PM MST:

Make sure that that is Don McLean’s American Pie…

Posted by Linda Brown.

Student on team #131, C.H.A.O.S, from Manchester Central High School and Osram Sylvania & Fleet Bank.

Posted on 6/23/2000 9:49 PM MST

In Reply to: The topic at hand posted by Justin on 6/21/2000 4:04 PM MST:

i have a couple of ideas for playing music.
what about:

Eiffel 65’s ‘Move your body’
Eiffel 65’s ‘Dub in life’
Creed’s ‘Can you take me higher?’ (kinda slow, maybe not)
*Nsync’s ‘It’s gonna be me’
*Nsync’s ‘here we go’
Will Smith’s ‘Gettin’ jiggy wit it’
Beastie Boys’ ‘Sabotage’
Quad City DJ’s’ ‘Space Jam’
Spin Doctors featuring Biz Markie ’ That’s the way (I Like it)’

these are just a few. do let me know what you think.
Linda ~CHAOS 131

Posted by David Kelso.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #131, C.H.A.O.S.-, from Central High School and OSRAM SYLVANIA/ Fleet Bank.

Posted on 6/22/2000 6:16 AM MST

The list of songs being listed is great, but the DJ has to consider a few other logistics. First, if the M.C. is giving needed information, the volume of the music has to be dropped. Second, the placement of the speakers in relation to the driving teams has to be considered. The driving teams and coaches are supposed to be communicating. If the speakers that are designed to ‘fill’ a whole gym are right beside the stage, then there will not be much coaching being done. See you all at Rumble and River Rage

Posted by Andrew Rudolph.

Student on team NASA KSC/Michael Krop Senior High School from Michael Krop Senior High School sponsored by NASA Kennedy Space Centre.

Posted on 6/24/2000 10:30 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: So… About the FIRST music… posted by David Kelso on 6/22/2000 6:16 AM MST:

Well as i see all of u people putting up this music i have heard this song that is pretty good its about this guy building a robot, not working… well its got a good beat and is a trancy technoish music…its by a band called Looper and its called My Robot

Andrew