So what do you think?

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 3/11/2000 7:25 PM MST

I readily admit that I am far from an unbiased observer, but given tha,t I have the following observations on this year’s game.

#1: The game as played in the qualifying rounds is not very interesting to watch unless your fate is directly tied to the outcome. In fact, I would say that it is a pretty boring game.

#2: The game as played in the elimination rounds is the most exciting game FIRST has ever had. There are a number of strategies that teams can use. Most matches had an interesting start, an active middle, and an explosive and exciting ending. In short, first has managed to design its most interesting and least interesting game in the same year!

#3: The balls are far far far from being in spec.

#4: The qualifying point process was no where near as much of a random number generator as I thought it would be. In fact, I would say that it was considerably better than it was in past years. Of course there is still a huge luck factor and certain types of ‘specialty’ teams that turn out to be very valuable in the elimination matches do not have there true value reflected in the standings. Yet, even so, to my cursory look, it seemed like the correllation between the seeding position and the concensus view of a teams rank was certainly no worse than in past years and I would even say better than in past years.

#5: Many of Bill Beatty’s predictions came true (including the #1 seed winning a regional).

Please share your thoughts & comments.

Joe J.

Posted by Andy Baker.

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 3/12/2000 12:00 AM MST

In Reply to: So what do you think? posted by Joe Johnson on 3/11/2000 7:25 PM MST:

All I have to say at this point is this:

The 2000 game is a strategic challenge… even more than '98. For the finals, we (team 65, 1, and 45) had 3-4 scenarios going. The first try failed miserably, and the second succeeded. The third… close but no cigar.

Kudos to teams 201, 47, and 349! Your teams are all excellent! Your combination of speed, scoring ability, and hang-ability is unparrallel.

As for our alliance partners… Thank you to the Husky Brigade for having faith in the TechnoKats when there were soo many other great teams out there to choose from. Also, it sure was nice to play WITH the Juggernauts, instead of always being AGAINST them. We made quite a trio!

See you in Chicago!

Andy B.

ps. we’ll fix our hook.

Posted by Erin.

Student on team #1, The Juggernauts, from OTC-NE, Oxford High School and 3-D Services.

Posted on 3/12/2000 6:06 AM MST

In Reply to: Strategic Challenge posted by Andy Baker on 3/12/2000 12:00 AM MST:

.: Also, it sure was nice to play WITH the Juggernauts, instead of always being AGAINST them. We made quite a trio!:

Andy, I do agree! Who knows, maybe we will be together again :slight_smile:

See you in Chicago!

-erin

Posted by Ken Patton.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #65, The Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 3/12/2000 3:41 PM MST

In Reply to: Strategic Challenge posted by Andy Baker on 3/12/2000 12:00 AM MST:

Andy-

I totally agree on your comments about the strategic challenges. We had great group of experienced FIRST competitors in our alliance, and it was a total challenge. It was a good feeling knowing that we could depend on all the alliance members to bring us up (almost!!!) to the level of 201+47+349.

Thanks for being there (and thanks for the hat - we had our ‘official’ picture taken while I was proudly wearing it, so I’ll be the only one without a red Huskie hat! :))

Congratulations to the winners - you guys sure have a lot of tricks up your sleeve. How many more have you not shown yet Joe…? :))

Ken

Posted by Fraser Allan.

Student on team #188, Woburn Robotics , from Woburn Collegiate Institute.

Posted on 3/12/2000 1:33 PM MST

In Reply to: So what do you think? posted by Joe Johnson on 3/11/2000 7:25 PM MST:

I would like to agree with many of the things you said, Joe. Numbers 1 through 3 were bang on! the round robin was kind of a bore, but the eliminations rounds, especially the finals with 6 amazing robots, were so much fun too watch.

I would like to congratulate all the teams on a job well done, especially team 47 on a breathtakingly beaytifull drive system, and team #1 on another solid robot and a very nice strategy in the final match which unfortunately didn’t quite work.

best of luck to all the teams in future regionals and florida. Myself and some members of my team will be driving to chicago to watch, hopefully it will be as exciting as GLR was!

Posted by Dante.

Student on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 3/12/2000 5:08 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: So what do you think? posted by Fraser Allan on 3/12/2000 1:33 PM MST:

: I would like to agree with many of the things you said, Joe. Numbers 1 through 3 were bang on! the round robin was kind of a bore, but the eliminations rounds, especially the finals with 6 amazing robots, were so much fun too watch.

: I would like to congratulate all the teams on a job well done, especially team 47 on a breathtakingly beaytifull drive system, and team #1 on another solid robot and a very nice strategy in the final match which unfortunately didn’t quite work.

: best of luck to all the teams in future regionals and florida. Myself and some members of my team will be driving to chicago to watch, hopefully it will be as exciting as GLR was!

THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENTS!
You also had a great machine!

Dante

Posted by Scott Strickland.

Engineer on team #21, ComBBAT, from Astronaut & Titusville High School and Boeing/NASA.

Posted on 3/12/2000 7:31 PM MST

I agree with all but your first comment. I thought the seeding rounds were interesting and the strategy involved more involving then the finals. When you see teams throwing balls at their opponent’s goals just to get some meaningful points, then at the last second their opponent gets on the ramp to win! AAAAAAHHHH!

I like the fact that few teams get humiliated.

Specialty robots have a great impact. One robot at KSC, Team 10, only had a wedge on wheels. It dominated other teams with its defensive play. If a team tried to climb over it to score, they would turn over. Big Jimmy always got their 5 points and kept people away from the ramp.

The balls were big and the bar was a little high. A lot of teams overestimated the challenge of hanging and or lifting balls. Ball Bailers have problems with odd shaped balls. Baskets get tippy when fully elevated. A lot of teams think wheel chair wheels have a lot of traction (they don’t!).

The game is harder then we all thought on kickoff day!

Scott

Posted by Dan.

Student on team #10, BSM, from Benilde-St. Margaret’s and Banner Engineering.

Posted on 3/13/2000 3:27 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: So what do you think? posted by Scott Strickland on 3/12/2000 7:31 PM MST:

–Specialty robots have a great impact. One robot at KSC, Team 10, only had a wedge on wheels. It dominated other teams with its defensive play. If a team tried to climb over it to score, they would turn over. Big Jimmy always got their 5 points and kept people away from the ramp.–

Thanks for the compliment!! Our team was pretty disappointed that our original design --a rotating & telescoping ball handling tube like Bomb Squad’s)–wasn’t going to materialize. But luckily our chassis was shaped like a wedge which made us a very effective defensive robot.
We had some mechanical problems our first few matches, but we’ve gotten only better since. In fact, we actually won a match by ourselves versus two other robots because our partner (the high-scoring Heat Wave) was broken. In another match we blocked the Bomb Squad from scoring and pulled out an upset victory. Of course defense doesn’t earn many qualifying points in this year’s game but it is absolutely essential in the elimination rounds. So we plan on making ourselves better known in the future.
Just to clear some things up though: we never have and never intend to tip a robot over. The FIRST tech. team said our robot is legal as long as we don’t intentionally tip anyone.