So when will all these TV networks start noticing FIRST

Posted by Joel G at 04/15/2001 5:48 PM EST

Student on team #442, Knight Riders, from Lee High School and NASA/ BOEING/ MEVATEC.

Well…It’s been 10 years since Dean has started the Foundation For Inspiration and Recogition of Science and Technology(I wantd to be dramatic instead of just saying FIRST) It has blown up from 10 team to 340 and from about 100 participants in a gym to nearly 16,000 people and the largest non-Disney event held a Epcot and seems nobody is noticing. I mean don’t ge me wrong I think FIRST has been doing a great job about promoting itself but it seems like the big networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, aren’t paying much attention. I’ve heard about these little 5 min. promos on CNN and one on GMA(GOOD MORNING AMERICA). These networks do a great job about reporting school shooting and the problems in some public school but when there something good going on they don’t care, they just give us a pat on the back and say good job and then we don’t hear from them until next year. With the millions the U.S. spends on “pork-projects” they can spend a couple million and become a sponser. I guess I’m just disapponted in how this country throws away money and I think we have something good going here I say we need to spread it as much as we can. This time next year I want to here U.S.FIRST change there name to The INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION FOR INSPIRATION AND TECHNOLOGY (IFIRST) . Just some thoughts.please respond

Posted by Matt Ryan at 04/15/2001 6:24 PM EST

Student on team #69, HYPER, from Quincy Public Schools and Gillette.

In Reply to: So when will all these TV networks start noticing FIRST
Posted by Joel G on 04/15/2001 5:48 PM EST:

They’ve always have given us attention, but we shouldn’t complain about the promotions they give us–they AREN’T obligated to do ANYTHING to promote FIRST.

They want ratings, and what gets people going more than a school shooting?

I agree that FIRST should be given more coverage, but I’m glad that the media even gives us those “pats on the back”.

FIRST has received more publicity this year than in past years so far, IMHO.

Posted by Joel G at 04/16/2001 11:26 PM EST

Student on team #442, Knight Riders, from Lee High School and NASA/ BOEING/ MEVATEC.

In Reply to: Re: So when will all these TV networks start noticing FIRST
Posted by Matt Ryan on 04/15/2001 6:24 PM EST:

Your right, TV stations just want to get higher rating and we can’t blame them they are doing there best. No complaining from me promise just over anticipation of lots of news reports after we got back from nat’s and I guess I was disappointed.
: They’ve always have given us attention, but we shouldn’t complain about the promotions they give us–they AREN’T obligated to do ANYTHING to promote FIRST.

: They want ratings, and what gets people going more than a school shooting?

: I agree that FIRST should be given more coverage, but I’m glad that the media even gives us those “pats on the back”.

: FIRST has received more publicity this year than in past years so far, IMHO.

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 04/15/2001 6:27 PM EST

College Student on team #639, Red B^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

: Well…It’s been 10 years since Dean has started the Foundation For Inspiration and Recogition of Science and Technology(I wantd to be dramatic instead of just saying FIRST) It has blown up from 10 team to 340 and from about 100 participants in a gym to nearly 16,000 people and the largest non-Disney event held a Epcot and seems nobody is noticing. I mean don’t ge me wrong I think FIRST has been doing a great job about promoting itself but it seems like the big networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, aren’t paying much attention. I’ve heard about these little 5 min. promos on CNN and one on GMA(GOOD MORNING AMERICA). These networks do a great job about reporting school shooting and the problems in some public school but when there something good going on they don’t care, they just give us a pat on the back and say good job and then we don’t hear from them until next year. With the millions the U.S. spends on “pork-projects” they can spend a couple million and become a sponser. I guess I’m just disapponted in how this country throws away money and I think we have something good going here I say we need to spread it as much as we can. This time next year I want to here U.S.FIRST change there name to The INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION FOR INSPIRATION AND TECHNOLOGY (IFIRST) . Just some thoughts.please respond

Posted by Mike Soukup at 04/15/2001 9:19 PM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling and Motorola.

One of the students on team 111 had the same complaint, but on a smaller scale. She was upset that when the team got back, people at school (non-FIRST members) weren’t talking about our 2nd place finish at Nats, the great time everyone had, or how much they learned. Instead they were talking about the trouble that a couple of students got in.

I guess it’s true that people would rather talk about the bad aspects of society, whether it’s school shootings or misbehaving students, instead of the good aspects, such as the impact FIRST has on most of the students and adults involved. Kinda sad isn’t it? But don’t let it discourge you, hopefully things will change.

Mike