Sourcing Parts in Singapore

Our team is new this year, and is having some difficulty finding parts. Is there anyone who has had some experience in Singapore who might have some recommendations of where to go and what’s available?

I went to the National University of Singapore for a university/college academic exchange semester in Jan-Apr 2010. While there, I took a project course that required me to shop around for parts to make a small robot (around 12"x10"x8"). Unlike North America, Singapore doesn’t have anything like Home Depot for getting basic cheapy robot parts.

Here are some places that I found useful:

Teck Cheong Aluminum
Sells aluminum extrusion in full lengths. I was looking for off-cuts, so I kept looking around. Do look around this neighbourhood for other mechanical components you need. Lots of stores seemed to sell used parts, but maybe you can find a store that can order stuff in for you.

Keat Seng Metals
150 Tyrwhitt Rd
Singapore 207565
Down the street from Teck Cheong. I THINK this was the place that I bought off-cuts of aluminum from.

Rotor Hobby
This place probably won’t be useful. It sells small metric bearings and other RC hobby components.

Sim Lim Tower
Unlike Sim Lim Square, which sells primarily consumer electronics, Sim Lim Tower is known for selling hobby components, primarily electrical. You should be able to find all the wires and electronics tools you need for an FRC robot. I found one store in here that sold tiny plastic gears.

For rotary encoders, I bought some from US company, shipped them to someone in the US, who then shipped them to me in Singapore.

That’s all I know. I don’t know what to do for buying drive train components. Good luck!

On shipping parts, we’ve found some companies better than others. AndyMark is by far the best, they can get us parts in under a week (including customs!) every time. It is a bit expensive, but a great way to get FIRST legal parts.

Ahhhh… you might want to be careful here. While I doubt anything like a rotary encoder would get you into trouble, that’s considered an ‘export’ and can fall under certain ITAR regulations. You could get your friend in a lot of trouble.

And your mentors. Especially if they’re in industry and are expected to know these sorts of things.