Spark MAX Ramp Rate

We are trying to determine the best method for creating a ramp up in our drive train. 4-NEO/SPARK MAX CAN wired tank drive. Programmed in LabVIEW. Is it easier to control this using a closed loop in code than it is to use the REV Hardware Client? We are wanting to limit the acceleration so we don’t rock the robot if we hit the joystick real hard.

We tried creating a ramp using the hardware client, but weren’t seeing any results. If I change the ramp rate using the REV client to say “5 seconds”, does that actually mean it will take 5 seconds to achieve full power? I’m not seeing any technical documentation on how the ramp rate works on the hardware client.

If coding it is the answer, could someone point me in the right direction to which VIs to use to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend just using LabVIEW for this. One of the strong suits of LabVIEW is your code is the UI. So you can just drop a graph of voltage/velocity/acceleration read back from the spark max and your input, all on the front panel with a little slider next to it with the ramp rate that you can adjust while driving the robot. This will be easier than the hardware client, as the hardware client 1) requires you to be physically tethered to the robot, 2) while it allows you to control multiple motors at once, it doesn’t allow you to change the parameter in real time on all controllers at once, and 3) it won’t emulate the actual feel of driving with a controller.

The ramp rate VI should have documentation for how to use it. Note that ramp rates will make the controls feel ‘laggy’ to the driver and can end up being harder to control. I would suggest trying to lower the center of gravity the best you can.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.