My team, like I assume many teams, is excited about brushless motors in FRC. We held off this year, since the Neo/Max was the only legal combination of motors and motor controllers, and out team has used Talon SRX and Victor SPX motor controllers for the last couple of years. Since this year (at least for Houston Champs teams) has basically come to a close, I am wondering what the experience of teams that used the Neo/Max combo has been. Specifically:
- Has the MAX software remained stable and consistent throughout Build Season and into Comp Season (have there been no significant changes)?
- How does Smart Motion compare to Motion Magic?
- Does the USB C connection provide any significant benefit?
- What is the Rev equivalent of Phoenix Tuner like?
- Is it better if the MAXes are closer to the motors or in a centralized location?
- Is there an absolute/relative combo encoder like the SRX mag encoder for the Max?
- Is it worth investing in the REV brushless motors and controllers or should we wait for a similar offering from VEX and CTRE?
- Is it worth trying to explore a brushless path, or should we stay with our 775/CIM and SRX/SPX setup?
- Is the Java library for the Max adequate for robot code development in its current state?
- Is there anything else that you have experienced that other teams should know about?
I am a software person, so I am approaching this from a software angle, but any mechanical or electrical advice would also be appreciated. Thank you so much for your help!