Spectrum FIRST Choice and Voucher Guide 2022

We’ve put together our recommendations for FIRST Choice and the Virtual Kit of Parts Vouchers for this season.

Full Document Here - 2022 FIRST Choice & Voucher Recommendations - Google Docs

The full document also includes recommended items to use with the vouchers from Automation Direct, TE, Digikey, Rev, Clippard, and others.

Sample Priority List and Recommended FIRST Choice Items: FIRSTChoice 2022 Items - Google Sheets

24 Likes

Looks great! Thoughts on adding a CTRE CAN Coder on the digikey reccomended list for swerve teams? Most people don’t know Digikey carries CTRE things.

Also: REV has raised the prices of the NEO and Spark MAX by $5.

4 Likes

That’s a good idea, I’ll look at adding it and possibly other CTRE items, I forgot they were on the digikey marketplace.

Does Digikey charge extra shipping for the CTRE stuff, or is it exempt from the voucher?

They sell Pololu stuff too, but since the items ship from Pololu, I think both of the above conditions apply to them.

1 Like

I believe these parts are in Digikey’s 3rd party supplier marketplace. Back in April I tried to use the Digikey FIRST voucher for CTRE gear and it didn’t work; customer service said they didn’t know how to apply it to Marketplace products. Unless this is fixed, I’d recommend spending the Digikey voucher on things from the main store instead.

1 Like

For the TE Connectivity items it seems there are limits imposed when building the cart. Is there a way to request more than the cart will allow?

Below is what I was able to add to my cart. Some items like ADERENDH0,75M GRAU 1241001-1 seems to be limited to 50 whereas the spectrum document lists successful request for 200. Thoughts?

Image Product Name Qty
ADERENDH0,75M GRAU
1241001-1
Ferrule 50
HSG SUB ASY,RED
1445957-5
Red Andersen 10
HSG SUB ASY,BLACK
1445957-2
Black Andersen 10
HSG SUB ASY,WHITE
1445957-3
White Andersen 20
HSG SUB ASY,GREEN
1445957-4
Green Andersen 25
HSG SUB ASY,YELLOW
1445957-6
Yellow Andersen 25
SERIES 50 HOUSING,RED
647845-3
Battery Connector 15
SERIES 50&75 CONTACT,10-12 AWG
647879-1
Battery Contact 50
SERIES 50 & 75 CONTACT,6 AWG
647877-1
6awg contact 50
L/P CONTACT,12-16AWG
1744041-1
12-16awg contact 100

That example order was from 2019, I have not attempted to order this season. Thank you for that information, and I’ll update after we put in our order for this season.

Strangest voucher ever. If I had bought the stuff I ordered through normal methods it would have cost much more than $25. Thanks to TE and thanks to Spectrum 3847 for showing me how this worked.

2 Likes

Hi Coach,

No love for GreenGate3D’s PETG filament? :frowning_face: Its FANTASTIC (if I don’t say so myself)… tremendous layer adhesion, vibrant colors, extruded from recycled plastics and ONLY made here, in the USA.

We’ve donated 100 FULL 1Kg spools to FIRST

• 50 Translucent Purple
  • 50 Translucent Yellow

Hoping for some love,
-Rich/GreenGate3D

2 Likes

It’s on our recommend items list, just didn’t make the sample priority list largely because not every team has a 3D printer that can use it. Thank you for the donation to FIRST Choice

1 Like

Definitely on our list! Was very happy to see it on first choice this year. And at 20 credits each, I’d say that’s a great price.

Agreed with Allen above, great option for teams, with the one caveat, they need a 3d printer to be able to use it.

1 Like

… and there was much rejoicing! :smiley:

1 Like

Nice! Thank you, Brian!

We kinda figured every team would have a printer… if not at school or library or local makerspace… there’s likely to be one in “someone’s” home. Of course, we’re new to FIRST so that was just a guess.

Ya, we thought FIRST priced them out very well. Glad you agree too.

All the best,
-Rich

1 Like

It’s not an unreasonable guess. I would say it’s probably more like 50% have at least one of their own, and another 25-30% have access to one or more–but I could be wildly wrong on that last part, probably low. The real question is how many use PETG filament already or want to try it out.

2 Likes

Thanks Spectrum for putting this together. Your lists have been super helpful since we began our teams 4 years ago.

I’d agree to this - printers have become very ubiquitous in the FTC and FRC spaces. I’d venture to say it’s more likely a FIRST team has a $200-1000 priced printer than they do a CNC or Lathe on hand. Our NYC Team has printer access in our school, plus we know many other schools and makerspaces which have.

The price for the spool is very fair, and I’ve personally used the product in the past for PPE, and RC model production. Easy to work with, and GreenGate3D is really supportive if there are any questions.

If any teams did need a special part printed for their robot, local or otherwise, we’re more than happy to make it for them.

1 Like