Speed controller fan replacement

Is it legal to swap out the fans on the speed controllers? These fans are absolutely pathetic. Not to mention that there are no heatsinks on the fets( or whatever they are). I come from an overclocking background and these fans are absolutely worthless. I want some YStechs

Yes it is legal to swap them out, but I don’t think you can just buy the fans.

does this count as “custom electronics” am i limited to the fans from digi-key and the other place?

Rick,

I’ve been doing FIRST for 9 years now and have used the IF speed controllers since they first came out.

IMHO, you will overheat your motors or trip circuit breakers way before you have problems with the SC.

My advice is that you have bigger problems to worry about and to not fix things that are not broken.

You can buy just the fans from IFI which according to the update would not be added to the $3500 since it is from IFI

I would however agree that you will have a heck of a time getting one of them to fail with the loads that we are putting on them, Battlebots users are starting to use them with huge banks (100+ batteries) of NiCads that dump insane current loads into them and the failure rate is very low.

true. u guys r plolly right.

*Originally posted by Matt Reiland *
**You can buy just the fans from IFI which according to the update would not be added to the $3500 since it is from IFI

Actually, according to rule K5(as amended in team update #2), anything purchased from IFI does not count toward your $200 custom electronics limit, but it does count toward your $3500…

The only problem with the fans/Victors that our team had last year was contamination. If metal shavings or dust got in them, they would overheat and destroy the Victor. Otherwise, the fans work fine if you are making sure they stay clean.

*Originally posted by n[ate]vw *
**The only problem with the fans/Victors that our team had last year was contamination. If metal shavings or dust got in them, they would overheat and destroy the Victor. Otherwise, the fans work fine if you are making sure they stay clean. **

Yeah, you really don’t want metal shavings in ANYTHING. Especially motors and the transmissions. The only problem I have with the fans is that is you catch them just right, they chip your finger nail.:mad:

I just had this conversation with someone last night. :yikes:

The only time we have ever had a problem with anything overheating was when we played our finals matches on Einstein last year. (For those of you who don’t know, the Einstein division field was outside last year.)

Heat + humidity + running a lot of matches = overheating. :frowning:

To solve that problem, we sprayed cold spray on our electronics after every match. I don’t think anyone will have to worry about overheating because of weather this year (all of the fields are indoors!) :smiley:

Other than that, we’ve never had a problem with overheating, even during other finals matches. The weather was the only thing that affected us last year ::shrug:: You should be fine. :slight_smile:

• Katie

We had one catch fire once…but never could figure out why…we figured some kinda shavings got in it.

Wouldn’t changing the fan count as modifing the IF electronics and be against the rules?

People,
Speed controllers have always been on the “Do Not Modify” List. Besides, change the fans and I would bet you void the IF warranty. They don’t do much because they don’t have to. There is not much voltage dropped across an “ON” FET so there is not very much power dissipated within the device. No real need to change fans. Of course, don’t enclose the speed controllers in a tight, confined or closed area because no fan will help save you from ruin.