Spicing Up Your ATL Trip

Just to get some ideas. What are other teams doing in Atlanta to have extra fun besides the comp and social event?:cool:

Honestly there’s very little time for anything else, but the World of Coca Cola and Underground Atlanta are nearby, those would be the closest short term attractions.

World of Coke will be closed during Championship’s due to a move to a new building next to the Georgia Aquarium which is next to Centennial Olympic Park. The aquarium as you may know is the worlds largest and is a great place to visit if you have time. The park is where the wrap party is held on Saturday night.
Dave

We TechnoKats are going to the Braves game!

OOOOOHHHHHHHHH OOOOOOOooooooooooHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ooohhhhhhhhhhh

There could also be NHL playoff hockey at Philips arena right next to the GA Dome during Championship’s. The Atlanta Thrashers will be in the playoffs but the schedule has yet to be determined. Dave

There also might be a braves game going on at home.

The game won’t be on Friday because the hawks and wizards play there on Friday

Good call. Forgot about our easily forgettable basketball team. This of course would be another alternative for people as there should be a lot of tickets available.

Maybe Thrashers game on Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday nights then. Dave

LOL, i bet there are going to be more wizard fans there than hawks fans, lol.

and the sad part up there is the tickets are more expensive than down here in Orlando.

We may go to the aquarium and CNN again

My mom’s been talking about snatching up us college mentors and renting a car and having a night out on the town…

I’m not into NHL much. But I’m up for whatever

We always like a run thru the centennial fountains, same place as where the social is held. Its fun but make sure you bring towels for the walk back.

http://www.centennialpark.com/events/fountain.html

Special Events other than just a water fountain is included with that.

The Fountain of Rings is the centerpiece of Centennial Olympic Park and is one of the most recognized and photographed landmarks in Georgia. Millions of international and local guests visit the Park every year to enjoy the world’s largest interactive fountain featuring the Olympic Ring symbol. Its photographic image also greets millions of visitors at the Atlanta Airport and delights a new generation as the State’s representative on the latest Here & Now Monopoly game board.

It’s free to view the Fountain of Rings show, which plays four times a day, 365 days a year, at 12:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.
Come and see the water come alive to these songs (songs vary per show):

1812 Overture – Tchaikovsky
Summon the Heroes – John Williams
Chariots of Fire – Electronix
William Tell Overture – Gioacchino Rossini
Under the Sea – Samuel E. Wright
Twist and Shout – The Beatles
Sir Duke – Stevie Wonder
Dancing in the Street – Martha Reeves and the Vandellas

I want to catch at least one show with some cool music when it happens.

One show should be going on during the wrap party at 9pm Saturday Night… (or right about the time it ends)

There is also Stone Mountain that is close by but requires a bus or car to drive you to, great hike up and amazing view once you are at the top.

The Underground is really cool lots of shopping and stuff to waste money on.
There is also the ever great time of frisby, hackysac football, soccer etc etc with other teams.

Oh if you get on the Marta, and take it to one of the last stops, (past Four Points? i think) There’s a mall that our team usually goes to a lot. Stores are pretty decent.

Plus i also like going to the park random times of the day to join other teams in their Flag football and Frisbee games.

The pizza place in the food court in Underground Atlanta has really good garlic bread too! :smiley:

One of the places in the food court of the underground made me sick last year. Just my luck. So, eat there with caution.

A couple of years ago we had an extra day due to a scheduling glich so we went to Six Flags Over Georgia. Unfortunately we brought our weather with us and it was freezing at the park all day.

Perhaps you are talking about Five Points which is the central station downtown where all rail lines cross? I am not sure about the stores there though.
Some other suggestions from a local person:**

There is also Little Five Points at Marta stop E3 where some trendy smaller stores are located.

For shopping, I would suggest Lenox Square or Phipps Plaza which are north on the Marta orange Northeast/South line to stop NE7. Some of the better / upscale stores in the area.

Everybody should eat at least once at the worlds largest drive in, The Varsity. It is at Marta stop N3 North Avenue which is also right next to Georgia Tech University in downtown Atlanta.

Marta rail stop N2, Civic Center - See the RMS Titanic artifacts.

Marta rail stop E2, The MLK Center.

Dave

Hmm you may wish to stop there but consider not eating - many a team member has fallen ill to their food in the past. But you can at least ask them for some of their paper hats (Steak and Shake style).