sponsor packet

wow, this forum is empty… guess i’ll be breaking it in =D

anyway, i don’t even know if this is in the right forum, but here goes:

i just made this sponsor packet:

72 dpi - 250 kB
http://www.harker-robotics.org/hrtpacket04web.pdf

1440 dpi - ~ 9 mB
http://www.harker-robotics.org/hrtpacket04print.pdf

anyway, i am HORRIDLY bad at grammar/spelling, and so i would like to have a couple eyes check it over for me, if you guys don’t mind.

spelling, grammar, how it looks, how the page is organized, how stuff is phrased, the colors, whatever. it’s all fair game.

and thanks ALOT =D

as a pr person trying to reach sponsors, i know that it is a hard job to do. i am going to place this into sections and give you some constructive criticism so don’t take it as an insult.

Photos: good job, it shows all around, but try to place a blurb next to or under each (1 sentence max) at what they are, meaning to the team, etc… Try to add a photo of the finished 2003 robot.

FIRST: Good job using the Description, but please add a vector image from FIRST, it is always good to display FIRST logo (if you need the vector contact me or FIRST, i have it, first will take longer to respond), maybe they have seen it before and wondered about it… Also check below in the links section.

Grammar: Good job, it looks like you have checked it over with more then just a spell checker, i didn’t see any errors, but good job having others check it over.

Links: Place links for your team, first and botball or any other thing that you list in the description, so they can check it out while thinking about it.

Section use: Good job here on dividing your info into sections, maybe you should though in awards and accomplishments separate FIRST and BotBall or other organizations here. Also list if your team has received any scholarships to students and state that FIRST gives out Scholarships to active students in FIRST only.

Sponsor Section: List Link to your sponsors! Be ready to explain how much current sponsors donate and what the money is directly linked too (do not place this in the presentation though), also if you are an official registered 501c3 non-profit organization state that.

Money: Explain what you are getting for your money, like the kit of parts and how some of that is manufactured for FIRST only on a specialized basis.

Location: Also note the tools you use and where you work, if its your school a garage or an attic, they like to know this stuff.

Game: state the 6 week period from announce of project to ship, also say the game changes yearly, this really gets their attention on how limited time you have.

Overall i say you have a great item, just go through add some of the things i stated and keep the document updated, each time you make a change, save it as a new file, so you can go back to the beginning if need be.

~Mike

*Originally posted by dez250 *
**as a pr person trying to reach sponsors, i know that it is a hard job to do. i am going to place this into sections and give you some constructive criticism so don’t take it as an insult.

Photos: good job, it shows all around, but try to place a blurb next to or under each (1 sentence max) at what they are, meaning to the team, etc… Try to add a photo of the finished 2003 robot.

FIRST: Good job using the Description, but please add a vector image from FIRST, it is always good to display FIRST logo (if you need the vector contact me or FIRST, i have it, first will take longer to respond), maybe they have seen it before and wondered about it… Also check below in the links section.

Grammar: Good job, it looks like you have checked it over with more then just a spell checker, i didn’t see any errors, but good job having others check it over.

Links: Place links for your team, first and botball or any other thing that you list in the description, so they can check it out while thinking about it.

Section use: Good job here on dividing your info into sections, maybe you should though in awards and accomplishments separate FIRST and BotBall or other organizations here. Also list if your team has received any scholarships to students and state that FIRST gives out Scholarships to active students in FIRST only.

Sponsor Section: List Link to your sponsors! Be ready to explain how much current sponsors donate and what the money is directly linked too (do not place this in the presentation though), also if you are an official registered 501c3 non-profit organization state that.

Money: Explain what you are getting for your money, like the kit of parts and how some of that is manufactured for FIRST only on a specialized basis.

Location: Also note the tools you use and where you work, if its your school a garage or an attic, they like to know this stuff.

Game: state the 6 week period from announce of project to ship, also say the game changes yearly, this really gets their attention on how limited time you have.

Overall i say you have a great item, just go through add some of the things i stated and keep the document updated, each time you make a change, save it as a new file, so you can go back to the beginning if need be.

~Mike **

thanks ALOT for your input. i’m correcting typos and implementing changes right now. i’ll post the updated one in a bit.

this is a very nice looking thing, i dont have any grammer or content suggestions but some “look” suggestions

the photos you have on the front page, make a “color” overlay for them in perhaps that dark teal color you use for the logo on top of the same page, perhaps use different shades of that color

if you are using photoshop, just open up those pictures, select some brush, select the dark teal color, then brush blend type select “color”, then color the images (this is an example of what i mean: http://users.wpi.edu/~piotrm/first/example_001.jpg )

as for all the other photos on this thing, i would make them slightly ligher (turn up brightness slightly) and perhaps make the side bar you have running down those pages gray instead of very dark blackish color it is now

also, i would color in the pie chart you have on the last page; and instead of trying to fit in that very tiny text into the small sectors, i would put the text outside and make it slightly bigger, can use color coding or arrow to correlate to the sector and i would also color code the descriptions of the costs for the pie chart you have to its right

these are just my opinions, the whole thing looks very well as it is, but if i were you i would have done what i just written

good luck

haha, easier said than done. i’m using illustrator for my page layout, and bouncing images back and forth between photoshop and illustrator is a pain at best. and besides, those pics are supposed to be color.

keep in mind that this is made for print production. i turn up the brightness on the photos and the printer makes everyone albino. it’s really dumb, and i don’t have the money for expensive colorsync hardware (anyone wanna give me a thousand bucks? :wink: on second thought, give it to the team :D)

hm… colored pie chart sounds like a plan. i’ll do it later. it’s 0400 and i’ve just spent the past 5 hours or so working on this thing. (its funny how it takes longer to correct than it does to make)

i’ll post the updated version as soon as i finish distilling the pdf (unless you guys WANT a 233 meg file ;)) and then i’m going to bed.

alright, the new ones are up. same url as above

http://www.harker-robotics.org/hrtpacket04web.pdf

http://www.harker-robotics.org/hrtpacket04print.pdf

wikid cooL! How do i make one?

uh, use adobe illustrator? =D

i really should be using indesign, but i don’t have the money to buy yet ANOTHER adobe app. (acrobat, illustrator, photoshop, and golive like DRAINED my money.)

this is now open to anyone, if you would like a copy of the Vector image please PM me on Chiefdelphi and leave me an email address or AIM s/n where i can send you it, and also ALbert, good job on the packet.
~Mike

just zip the file and attach it to a post