Spotlight!

I was doing the morning reading, and saw this post by Andy Baker, and thought ‘hmm, thats a good quote.’ (FIRST is not about robots or which roller coaster we get to ride… it is about people.).

Then I thought, there are probably a lot of these oneliner’s hidden among the 77,701+ posts in the database, and they should be showcased somewhere.

So, if you look near the bottom of the posts, next to the ‘report to moderator’ link, there is a ‘spotlight’ link. When you see something worthy of attention, (FIRST-related, of course) you click that, narrow the post down to the 1-sentence blurb you would like, and then eventually it will appear somewhere. [yet to be determined, most likely randomly in the upper right of the screen in the blank gray area].

The submit mechanism is in place, I’ll do something with the displaying of them later. We need to build up a few anyway… no need to randomly display 2-3 of em :slight_smile:

[edit]
Feel free to nominate any from the past, also, if you remember them.
[/edit]

Great idea Brandon!!

But the biggest problem I see is that now every post will be a huge theatical presentation, with tons of similies and deep thoughts.

Still wating for that karma to come…

/me crosses fingers

*Originally posted by JosephM *
…with tons of similies and deep thoughts.

The spotlight feature, like sand through an hourglass, can be gritty and sharp if broken, but if it’s not broken, it can tell you when an hour has gone by.

Or maybe it’s like kissing your sister.

Perhaps the spotlight function hangs in the air exactly the way a brick doesn’t.

Truthfully, though, the spotlight function showcases the best that chiefdelphi has to offer, like the pie counter at Denny’s.

Should the author be shown?

Brandon,
Is the spotlight the new top-secret feature you were working on or is there something more?

*Originally posted by sanddrag *
**Brandon,
Is the spotlight the new top-secret feature you were working on or is there something more? **

Spotlight is something I came up with & wrote this morning at 7:30am. The ‘super-secret’ new feature is something way-way-way bigger. May not even be done this season. We’ll see.

*Originally posted by Brandon Martus *

Spotlight is something I came up with & wrote this morning at 7:30am. The ‘super-secret’ new feature is something way-way-way bigger. May not even be done this season. We’ll see. **

NOOOO!!! I’m dying of anticipation! Can you give us a sneek peak latter?

I’ll be good :slight_smile:

Edit:

Will the spotlights be regenerated everytime we go to a different part of the site and update?

*Originally posted by JosephM *
NOOOO!!! I’m dying of anticipation! Can you give us a sneek peak latter?

nope, sorry… :smiley:

Will the spotlights be regenerated everytime we go to a different part of the site and update? **

There were only 2 that have been active. Once there are more, they will randomly change every page load.

Brandon,

Are you going to be screening and/or approving the submissions?

I’m not sure why I’m asking, exactly, but I’d just like to know.

(P.S. - Hey, look, it’s a quote from me!)

*Originally posted by M. Krass *
**Brandon,

Are you going to be screening and/or approving the submissions?

I’m not sure why I’m asking, exactly, but I’d just like to know.

(P.S. - Hey, look, it’s a quote from me!) **

He is. That’s not the exact one I submitted…

oops… :eek:

M: Yes they are screened, unfortunately, to prevent the inevitable.

JosephM: I haven’t changed any of them.

*Originally posted by Brandon Martus *
**M: Yes they are screened, unfortunately, to prevent the inevitable.

JosephM: I haven’t changed any of them. **

Oh, ok. It must be my god awful short term memory then.

I see a problem with one of them. It hits the black part that runs down your title area.

*Originally posted by wysiswyg *
**I see a problem with one of them. It hits the black part that runs down your title area. **

Looks fine to me. I don’t see the problem you describe.

When you minimize the screen size, it can happen to the Krass post.

mkrass.jpg

mkrass.jpg

What about a library (kinda like the gallery) for quotes? Complete with ranking system and keyword search preferably.

*Originally posted by SlamminSammy *
**What about a library (kinda like the gallery) for quotes? Complete with ranking system and keyword search preferably. **

I’m eventually going to make a list – don’t know about the ranking & such…

@JosephM: yes, I can’t really do much about that, for now. Get a bigger monitor? :smiley: j/k

No, I’m fine, I just resized my window to see if it happened, but I’m ok…

on my iBook. :smiley:

Hehe…well…the main reason for HTML being displayed wrong is it being coded wrong. Wait a minute…looks at Brandon runs away quickly

J/K :stuck_out_tongue:

(I have no room to talk…even my simplest pages aren’t W3C compatible!)

I first saw the spotlight button, and was like, what?
Then I saw the quote on the top of the page after I clicked spotlight button, and was like, cool!

Then I went to Announcements.

Wetzel

This is a memorable quote.