St. Louis Day 1 By the Numbers...

It is only day one but let’s see what we can see…

All numbers are calculated using the Ranking Page data scraped from TBA (thanks guys).

The data presented is MEDIAN / 90th PERCENTILE and are normalized to be per match data.

Some interesting things to note.

First of all, basically all divisions are 80% climbers with DAL out in front for some reason at 87%.

The MAIN thing I noticed is HOKEY SMOKES what is up with DAR and DAL and Pressure.

THOSE DIVISIONS CAN SCORE SOME FUEL!!! (Shut me up with all that “fuel is for the few” noise) The 90th Percentile team (not the TOP team) is averaging in the 30s in both those divisions AND DAR is almost averaging 40!!! That is NUTS.

SO I had to make a chart that showed the Average Pressure for each team in the division, sorted by best to worst (left to right).

In case you can’t see it on that scale, I have just plotted the top 15 teams per division (at scoring fuel).

DAR and DAL are killin’ it when it comes to pressure. Look at how much above the other divisions those top 15 teams are…

Data attached in a spreadsheet if you want to do your own analysis.

Discuss.

Dr. Joe J.

StLouisDay1MedianAnd90th.JPG
StLouisDay1MedianAnd90thMarked.JPG
StLouisDay1PressureScores1.JPG

StLouisDay1b.xlsb.xlsx (94 KB)

StLouisDay1MedianAnd90th.JPG
StLouisDay1MedianAnd90thMarked.JPG
StLouisDay1PressureScores1.JPG

StLouisDay1b.xlsb.xlsx (94 KB)

Curious about the effect of average pressure on ranking.

Correlation is not causation but it is suggestive.

Looking at the top 8 teams in each division and looking at the correlation between KPA and AutoPoints, KPA and BonusRP, and KPA and Rank I get the following.

http://i.imgur.com/7CRC1zU.jpg

Not as correlated as I would have thought, to be honest, but still interesting.

I a lot of Bonus RPs are coming from that 4th rotor so I wouldn’t expect that good of a fit. In fact, having robots go for KPA is not helping get that 4th rotor so that is probably suppressing the correlation there.

I am more surprised that KPA and rank are not better (negatively) correlated for these top ranked teams.

We’ll see how the numbers stack up after today’s matches.

Stay tuned…

Dr. Joe J.

StLouisDay1Top8KpaCorrel.JPG

StLouisDay1Top8KpaCorrel.JPG