Stacks

How many of you believe that if the human player were to stack the boxes in the first 10 seconds that they are guarantied to get knocked down within the first 30 seconds of the match??
(including autonomous period)

I doubt that the players can stack all 8 boxes in the 10 seconds, (you should try some time, it’s not easy:D ), but if they somehow could, i think most teams will go for the stack on the ramp first. Unless a team knows they won’t be as fast as their opponents, or the opposing alliance had no way of stacking, going for the ramp will probably get more points and an eventual victory.
Outside of autonomous period, i have no insight.

There are very few good reasons for knocking down a human-player stack in auto-mode.

All offensive robots (and actions) are really not ideal strategery wise, all they do is make lower scores. Only good if you know your going to lose unless you do, of special elim cases.

Greg

Well, if the human player makes two stacks of four, the opponent will probably try to go for one and leave the other one for points until the end when they decide if they want to knock it down or not. If it is a stack of eight (not to mention the human players have to be pretty tall), the other robots will most likely try to knock it down because a multiplier of 8 usually guarentees a win.

I personally think that every match will be different. It depends on what robots are playing. If you have a line trackers you will need to play differently than if you were going against a robot looking for the retro-reflective tape.

The human player for all teams better be able to know what to do for the different types of robots.

It really all depends on the robots and type of auton mode.
Hey if you’re team can pull of a stack of 8 and have it stand in the end, it would be a wonderful thing to see.

I personally think it would be pretty cool, but always have your human plaqyer evaluate on what types of robots there are, and what scores are possible with a stack of eight.

Good Luck at Regionals.
The time is rapidly approaching

-Greg The Great

Stacks of eight aren’t that hard to make. Make two stacks of four, put one on top of the other. The person who wasn’t lifting would keep the top four from tipping.

Well, we have tried stacking all 8.
Its not easy, but it can be done. You have to remember, however, that you gotta lift your stack over the little ledge on the side of the field, then carry it to the other stack, lift on top and run back.

The fastest and easiest strategy we developed works like this:

Team A: Team B:
4 bins 4 bins
Both teams lift stack over edge.
Team A throws top bin to Team B
3 Bins 5 Bins
While Team B puts the 5th bin on top of their stack,
Team A runs their three stack over to Team B’s side.
Team B lifts the stack of 5 onto the stack of 3.
RUN BACK!

While it may seem crazy, we spent quite some time testing and found that lifting 5 onto 3 is easier than 4 on 4 or 3 on 5.

Nik

The fastest and easiest strategy we developed works like this:

Team A: Team B:
4 bins 4 bins
Both teams lift stack over edge.
Team A throws top bin to Team B
3 Bins 5 Bins
While Team B puts the 5th bin on top of their stack,
Team A runs their three stack over to Team B’s side.
Team B lifts the stack of 5 onto the stack of 3.
RUN BACK!

While it may seem crazy, we spent quite some time testing and found that lifting 5 onto 3 is easier than 4 on 4 or 3 on 5.

Nik

Thanks for this. I printed it out and found a moment to intrigue the rookie students on our team to begin exploring and experimenting with the bins. Our new robotics engineer got into it too.

It really is something to see - a box flying through the air, followed by an energetic HS kid running 3 over. The nice thing is, it doesnt’ require a lot of pratice, even a clumsy mentor like me can get the hang of it pretty quick.

(BTW - Redhead - tell the guest on your team from PVPHS that “ducky” said hi :-D)

-=- Terence

*Originally posted by SiliconKnight *
**(BTW - Redhead - tell the guest on your team from PVPHS that “ducky” said hi :-D)

-=- Terence **

wary puzzlement Ok.

The only problem is… you can’t throw a bin.

*Originally posted by Lee *
**The only problem is… you can’t throw a bin. **

I don’t recall anything in the rules that prohibits it. Robots are specifically allowed to do so. Could you please give a reference?

*Originally posted by Lee *
**The only problem is… you can’t throw a bin. **
since when cant you throw a bin? :yikes:

Rule GM 19 states: Human players can only place or stack containers. They cannot throw the containers.

Hmm good call…
I guess the other way to do it is to just run the stack of 4 over, hand one off to the other team and then stack 5 on 3. Really though, it gets much harder this way… you cant make it back most of the time.

Nik

we’ve been running human player tests for a few days here after ship and found that the stack of 8 strategy works well with one fast and tall person running the 4 over to the other side and placing them on top of the other players 4. that other player can help steady/straigten the boxes while the original runner places them on top and sprints back to the pad.

hmmm - some of this discussions got me thinking about how to confuse a tape-sensing robot - hmmm

I would say that probably 80% of stacks 2 or bigger will get knocked down sometime during the match. The bigger the stack, the more likely it is to get knocked down.

Our team has a couple of human players practicing and they are down to a stack of 8 in under 8 seconds… and another second or so to get off the field… I don’t know how many teams are going for auton box knock over… though our programmer is having much fun with many different auton programs.

*Originally posted by Jeff Waegelin *
**I would say that probably 80% of stacks 2 or bigger will get knocked down sometime during the match. The bigger the stack, the more likely it is to get knocked down. **

…Or stolen…

How embarassing would it be to have your hp stacks stolen and deposited on the other side of the field?

*Originally posted by Solace *
**…Or stolen…

How embarassing would it be to have your hp stacks stolen and deposited on the other side of the field? **

If teams prove that they can do this reliably, I suspect the human players would just stop stacking in those instances.